DC Universe Online Going Free-To-Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This is not surprising at all. I was in the beta, and while it looked nice, it was rough around the edges in most other departments. The whole downtime due to the hacking incident didnt help matters either.
Who knows, I may go and give it a second look once this goes live. Wont cost me anything, other then some time.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
DCUO has its problems but it is still a fun game to play and it probobly has the best graphics of any MMO out there right now. That and great pvp!

G

Nope!

Only one time sucker for me!

GUILD WARS 2!

Time is marching on to release!

G

Hate to break it to you, but the only reason this game is going free is because of lack of player base and no real income generation. Even when they merged ALL of their servers from about 12 to 4 it was still extremely hard to find anyone in the cities to play with.

With that being said if you don't make an MMO that will grab the player base you pretty much have to make it free2play or it will get shut down.

G

That's OK. They can keep it. I hadn't done it until now but I am buying an X-Box now. My Playstation has been sitting idle through the time they got hacked and I've gotten through the withdrawal. Sony can bite the big one now, I don't care. Bye bye Sony. May your fossilized remains give future archeologists as much fun as you used to give your CUSTOMERS when you cared about them.

darasen

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
Wow, that was fast. I am not surprised though and had they listened to their beta testers and live players a bit more they would have likely found more success.

DCUO manages to make the player feel heroic from the start never with out a travel power and never simply beating up gang members for levels on end. The biggest issue with the game is it's horrible control schema. Left click right click hold right click to use a power WTF?

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Age of Conan is way better than DCUO or most MMOs and F2P is the way of the future. With in game store the company can make more $$$ than standard subs only.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hoping they dont follow the EverQuest Extended model. Meaning my installed DCUO client and long dormant lvl6 character will be usable. And not making me have to reroll a character on a new game client on servers outside the others like EQE.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]ksharp25[/nom]Hoping they dont follow the EverQuest Extended model. Meaning my installed DCUO client and long dormant lvl6 character will be usable. And not making me have to reroll a character on a new game client on servers outside the others like EQE.[/citation]
That wasnt SOE's fault. That was from all the whining and bitching the "Live" players had in regards to the "freeloaders". I honestly want them to merge the services into a more hybrid model, like DDO/LoTRO, and to not be on seperate servers, but the live side wont have any of it. Eccentric asshats, IMO. I know I dont feel sorry for the live sides population issues, while Freeport thrives. They only have themselves to blame.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
This is great That's how the games should be. I find it terrible to pay quite a lot of cash for WoW when I could get totally bored of it after 2 months. You can't test p2p mmo in 7 days bliz got it right now it's free till level 20 so you can get taste of PvP and first dungeons.

F2P with convenience upgrades is great It doesn't unbalance gameplay like cash shops(which end up costing more than monthly fees if some1 goes serious about them).

G

This is better than any of the news that came out of Tokyo Game Show recently (for me at least)!

So, I'm assuming that free to play means that I'll be able to download the game for free on my PS3?

Even if I had to buy a disc of the game, I think I'd do it now. I was interested in this game when it came out, but I'm sorta old-school when it comes to my video games, and the idea of paying a monthly fee to play a game online still seems ridiculous to me.

G

The guy writing this is an idiot, City of Heroes Freedom came out 2 days ago, 4 days after he wrote this article. That's "Later this year"?

G

anyone who thinks age of conan of all games is decent has no brains, it's a crappy game too obsessed with its barbarian theme to actually let players do what they want. As for xbox my 360 scratched half my disks to death, after oblivion got shredded 5 times in a row my 360 went to gamestop and i bought my ps3. Sony have been nothing but excellent and my ps3 slim has been amazing. I don't blame sony for the hack incident and nor should any of you. Some idiots went and tried to ruin others fun so SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND THINK BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR BLOCKHEADED TYPEHOLES. Sheesh I bet you idiots believe rift is a clone of wow even. Try Lineage 2 you idiots, THAT'S what rift copied. And for you fools who will respond keep in mind that I won't be visiting here again so your comments will go ignored. I can't stand stupid people, which is why I do better on psn than xbl.

Status
Not open for further replies.