DDR 4 1 32GB (4x8) kit or 2 16GB (4x4) kit?

Puiz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi I am wondering if I can get some input for a new computer I am building, these are the specs I am going for

Asus X99-Deluxe (i7-5960x)
Cooler Master Storm Trooper/stryker
Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1 Gaming GDDR5
Cooler Master VGold v850

The fustration I am having is with the ram
I am deciding between
Vengeance® LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz C16 Memory Kit

Vengeance® LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz C16 Memory Kit

should i get 2 16gb kits? I am buying the same kits and I save quite a load of money...

I have done some research and people are divided between having no issues if it is from the same kit to having issues because they are not tested together and proven to work.. could I get some advice?

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I'll say this, I have 16GB of RAM in my system, and have never seen more that about a third of it (~5GB) actually in use at one time even while gaming. I don't think you'll need 32GB of RAM unless you do a lot of graphic design or something like that, but if the price for the 32GB is reasonable, there's also no reason not to go with it that I know of. Basically, it comes down to what you're willing to pay for it I guess, but having more shouldn't cause you any problems since the motherboard you listed supports 8GB sticks in each RAM slot.

Iamsoda

Distinguished

Nope 8gig is still plenty for almost all cases, but 16gig is the sweet spot in pricing. 32gig is massive overkill. I haev 16gig and I run virtual boxes no problems and those use lots of ram.

4 x 8GB for 32GB
4 x 4GB for 16GB

X99 motherboards support quad channel memory. Your best performance will come with having 4 sticks of memory. One for each channel.

You want to buy a single kit with 4 sticks of memory. That way, you know that all 4 sticks of memory were tested and work well together.

d_grant03

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

Nope. I do video editing and when rendering i max out my 16GB of RAM. I'm upgrading to 32GB soon because 16GB just doesn't cut it sometimes.
Now in reply to the original poster, unless you are doing any graphics building or rendering you will never need over 16GB except in a random case scenario. Now if you are a videographer like me and want to use Adobe Premier to its full potential then i recommend the 32GB