DDR-ram Why make something thats only 15% faster?

G

DDR-ram, why is it only 15% faster? isn't it suppost to be 'double' the speed of sdram? I always get my hopes up when I hear about some new technology ... but in the end you hardly notice the difference. Maybe you think 15% is a lot faster but why not triple the performance?

G

Is a Athlon/P3/P4 1200 really twice as fast as an Athlon/P3/P4 600?
In a synthetic benchmark, maybe. In a real world test, not likely.

PC133 ram isn't twice as fast as PC66 ram. It can read/write data at twice the speed, but that does not mean it can "find" the data at twice the speed. There are still read latencies, write latencies, buffers to go through etc.

Sure the way data is "clocked" into and from the ram implies twice the transfer, we haven't seen a doubling of memory bandwidth.

PC66 - PC100 ram/bus speed only influenced about a 5 - 10% peformance increase. PC100 - PC133, about the same. Why should it be that suprising that the next "greatest" technology be much different from history.

I wasn't surprised to see the difference in speed be small. But its still better than the RAMBUS crap :)

=================
Ian McGinley
parawolf

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have to understand that RAM is only one of many components that make up a system. By simply increasing the performance of only one of thes components you cannot reasonably expect huge gains in total system performance. In other words, to double system speed you need to double the speed of every component, not only the RAM. Bearing this in mind a 15% increase is indeed a huge increase.