[SOLVED] DDR3 1333mhz RAM running at 398mhz

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
oWgp6SJ.png

First of all pardon me about my English typing skill. As you can see, my RAM is running at the wrong default speed which is supposed to be 667 (1333). It all started after using different board and processor. Haven't really got the chance to checked the RAM speed on the former board coz im pretty busy when I was using it. After replacing the board and processor (because of a faulty PSU) I checked it after installing a fresh windows into it.

FORMER SPEC:
  • Athlon II x2 255 Dual core processor
  • Asus m4n68t-m le v2 motherboard
  • Kingston DDR3 1333mhz (same RAM you can see in the screenshot)
  • WD hard drive (same HDD you can see in the screenshot)
  • GT220 (same GPU you can see in the screenshot)
NEW SPEC:
- Please refer to the screenshot

I've tweaked the BIOS for OC'ing but can't seem to find any clue about it as it's mentioning an FSB pin that needs to be changed (tried it also but no luck). This is my first time encountering such issue and I have no clue as I'm weak at bus speed and OC'ing.

Am I having trouble with compatibility or bottleneck?

I was playing ok with my games on the former setup, but the new one bugs me out as it is causing tremendous lag and frame drops even when set to lowest (i can play moderate setting on the former one)/

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Can you show photo of available settings?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

It's possible that 800mhz FSB cpus (Pentium E5700 is 800mhz FSB) are limited to 800mhz ram.

ILuLMi7.jpg

45g37I1.jpg

n623eqL.jpg

TzJfqIv.jpg

pOqY3xG.jpg

So it's all about what the CPU can handle? Is this about the "bus" speed? Sorry about being an idiot. I'm also suspecting a bottleneck/comaptibility issue, that's what i'm talking about,.

Please enlighten me.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
BTW - you changed system from AMD Athlon to Intel Pentium Dual core.
Did you reinstall windows?

If you didn't reinstall, then you will have performance issues due to incompatible drivers.

Yes, I did fresh install since I'm fully aware of that. I was suspecting my processor or maybe motherboard is limiting my RAM to default 800mhz.. I was really aware that I should see 1333mhz and seing half on CPUz but the bios just gave me the same 400mhz settings and nothing else..

Just need some enlightenment about this stuff or it might be something I need to know. First time encountering a problem like this.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
It appears - to operate ram at 1333mhz, you'd have to use cpu with 1333mhz FSB.

See cpu support list for your motherboard.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/g41m-vs3/#CPU

BTW - you have only single ram module and it is running in single channel memory mode. This reduces memory performance.

I see. Thanks for the confirmation. Will take a look at this link and stick my spare dual channel rams with the same total GB.

Thanks bro. In case I need to know something I don't understand, just let me know. I got a lesson learned from this.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
It appears - to operate ram at 1333mhz, you'd have to use cpu with 1333mhz FSB.

See cpu support list for your motherboard.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/g41m-vs3/#CPU

BTW - you have only single ram module and it is running in single channel memory mode. This reduces memory performance.

Confirmed thanks so much!

Pentium e5700 (current): 800mhz bus speed
Athlon 2 x2 255 (former): 2,000mhz bus speed

Looks like bus is a pretty big deal for old gen intel setups huh. Thanks for the response, I learned something from this.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Yes you need like a E8600 to run memory at 1333MHz, E5700 is only 1066Mhz. You can't run faster than the CPU on Core2 duo's , You can get a E8600 used less than $20

Nah, i'll double check my former processor and mobo if it's fried or not temporarily. Planning to buy a new ryzen 3 build instead. AM3 and LGA775 are pretty dinosaur setup. Just enough for image editings but lacking for rendering videos, effects and AAA games.