[SOLVED] ddr3 1600mhz with 2x ddr3 1333mhz

MandandM

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
Hello, I'm always trying not to post as there are over 9000 threads with simillar issue but I've red at least 3000 and i can't seem to find the solution. Get ready for some old sheets.

Deal is:
I have 2x sticks of 2gb RAM with 1333mhz and they work together fine, registering at 667mhz in task manager and cpuz as they should.

But as we know 4gigs is not enough in today time, so my friend gave me 1x stick RAM 8gb with 1600mhz.. Now im trying to get them all work on 1333mhz but so far no deal. Hell i would be perfectly fine with 8gb 1600mhz alone, but nope.

The 1x 8gb doesn't work by itself or in some combinations, I got it to work with some testing but now it says everywhere that i have 12gb RAM running at 400mhz.
I tried changing the ram timings, latency, clock. even tried overclocking cpu and ram as my mobo says it only supports 1600mhz when its OC. Before i updated bios it wouldn't even work with all 3 sticks.

When they are all three in there, BIOS uses some auto timings that make no sense as they are lower than any of the sticks are rated for.

Motherboard: M3A770DE
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x4 965
GPU: MSI GTX 750ti
8gb ram is Patriot Viper
Other two are Kingston and something similar to it.

Solution
I should have caught it sooner that the motherboard only supported 16GB of ram, because of the age of the system and the fact that I looked at the manual before I responded in my first post. I even goofed a few months back when putting more memory into an old q6600 system that uses DDR3, but only supports 16GB max. Although that was more the fact that I didn't bother checking the modules before plugging them in because it has the same heat-sink as the 2x4GB kit I meant to use.

It's around $15-25 for 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz. So although it's not going to make your system any faster, you can still use it for longer until you are ready to upgrade to a new system. If you really want to extend the life of the system the best CPUs you can use are...
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold.

That kind of combination you have has no guarantee to be compatible together, but your free to make any combinations you want with no guarantees.

"auto timings that ... are lower than any of the sticks are rated for" is caused when the combinations result in the memory no longer being able to operate at rated specifications. Those kind of memory combinations place additional stress on the memory controller that cause the memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications.

MandandM

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
Thank you for reply.
Yeah, true, I suspected that. And yet I stubbornly want to try every possible way hah.

But there's still a question why doesn't it work with at least single channel 8gb 1600mhz.
Everyone says it should underclock to 1333mhz if mobo or cpu doesn't support it. But it does support it, and doesn't work either way. Only when its set to 400mhz.

Thanks for help in any case.

Thank you for reply.
Yeah, true, I suspected that. And yet I stubbornly want to try every possible way hah.

But there's still a question why doesn't it work with at least single channel 8gb 1600mhz.
Everyone says it should underclock to 1333mhz if mobo or cpu doesn't support it. But it does support it, and doesn't work either way. Only when its set to 400mhz.

Thanks for help in any case.
Post the model number of the 8GB module. If it's a common module you can probably just buy a second one on ebay or possible mix it with a new Crucial or Kingston value ram kit. Also, can you run CPU-Z and take a screenshot of the memory and spd tabs and post them?

MandandM

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
GEhBa6i.png

Sorry for late reply, I'm in CEST.
8gb is I guess one of those:
PV316G160C0K
PD000281

Hm, I see now that 8gb has only JEDEC #5,
I suppose that means that I need to manually input timings (don't know to which values) and clock 667mhz for it to work alone?

Update
I tried the 8,8,8,22....31 and 8,8,8,8,23....32
Nothing

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply, I'm in CEST.
8gb is I guess one of those:
PV316G160C0K
PD000281

Hm, I see now that 8gb has only JEDEC #5,
I suppose that means that I need to manually input timings (don't know to which values) and clock 667mhz for it to work alone?

Update
I tried the 8,8,8,22....31 and 8,8,8,8,23....32
Nothing
Have you tried running just the 8GB module by itself? It's running half its advertised overclock speed, which means either it's incompatible with the other modules, or you need to manually set it to 667 and the same timings of one of the 2GB modules which would be 9-9-9-24-33 at 667Mhz (1333Mhz) and set command rate to 2T. You could also try 10-10-10-28-36 2T.

Just keep in mind that although you have 12GB of ram working, you are stuck with far less performance compared to the 2x2GB at 1333Mhz vs the current 800Mhz. Dual channel mode requires 2 or 4 modules.

Edit - You might be able to run the Kingston and Patriot modules together at 1333Mhz with the same timings I listed above.

Last edited:

MandandM

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
Alright, so.
Kingston works with both set of values by itself.. but patriot doesn't, neither alone nor with kingston.

Are there any other options that I should look into?

Alright, so.
Kingston works with both set of values by itself.. but patriot doesn't, neither alone nor with kingston.

Are there any other options that I should look into?
I had another look at the specs of your motherboard. I don't know why I keep overlooking it, but the motheboard only supports 16GB total memory in 4 slots. Which means you won't get that 8GB module to work by itself as the memory controller doesn't support it. I'm wondering how much ram you actually have access to in Windows. It's possible the board does support 8GB modules but only at DDR2 speeds (800Mhz.)

So you need to get a 2x4GB, or 4x4GB memory kit to run 8-16GB. I wouldn't try mixing another 2x2GB kit with what you have already. I would go grab a 2x4GB 1600Mhz kit on newegg for around $25-35. If you want 9-9-9-24 timings at 1600Mhz, you can probably get a used kit on ebay for $15-25, otherwise it's around $40-45 new.

Reactions: MandandM

MandandM

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
It's weird that the 8gb one can work at all if that's true.

Nah, I just want more than 4gb, but it looks like its new PC for me.
It would be time.

Anyways thanks for your time and help.

Last edited:

MandandM

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
I had another look at the specs of your motherboard. I don't know why I keep overlooking it, but the motheboard only supports 16GB total memory in 4 slots. Which means you won't get that 8GB module to work by itself as the memory controller doesn't support it. I'm wondering how much ram you actually have access to in Windows. It's possible the board does support 8GB modules but only at DDR2 speeds (800Mhz.)

So you need to get a 2x4GB, or 4x4GB memory kit to run 8-16GB. I wouldn't try mixing another 2x2GB kit with what you have already. I would go grab a 2x4GB 1600Mhz kit on newegg for around $25-35. If you want 9-9-9-24 timings at 1600Mhz, you can probably get a used kit on ebay for $15-25, otherwise it's around $40-45 new.

KVCXG5q.png

Well if I'll be buying new ones, i think i will stick to the 1333mhz just for the sake of certainty, its all already on the edge of death. don't want to push it xd

Last edited:
I should have caught it sooner that the motherboard only supported 16GB of ram, because of the age of the system and the fact that I looked at the manual before I responded in my first post. I even goofed a few months back when putting more memory into an old q6600 system that uses DDR3, but only supports 16GB max. Although that was more the fact that I didn't bother checking the modules before plugging them in because it has the same heat-sink as the 2x4GB kit I meant to use.

It's around $15-25 for 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz. So although it's not going to make your system any faster, you can still use it for longer until you are ready to upgrade to a new system. If you really want to extend the life of the system the best CPUs you can use are a Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition or Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition. An Phenom II X4 965 is somewhere around $10-20 on ebay and would be better overall compared to the X6. It should be able to run games like Dota 2 or Overwatch at over 60fps and possibly up to 100fps with a good graphics card on low to medium settings.

Reactions: MandandM
Solution

MandandM

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
It would be nice if they clarified some stuff like 1333mhz is 667mhz, or max GB per slot hah

But I think ill save up for new hardware. I got a lot of issues with psu, mobo, even hdd.
I have this even older pc that even now has less issues than this one. I'm tired of it all.

Thanks once again for all the info everyone. If nothing else, i learned something.
I'll mark this last answer as best answer as it summarizes the issue, and you helped alot.