[SOLVED] DDR3 2800mhz 4x4 issue

1ah1

Prominent
Dec 12, 2019
Hi

I have a new kit Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2800Mhz

after putting all the 4 sticks the pc won’t started It goes for reboot with black screen So i removed them all and i put just one stick to test all of the 4 sticks and the pc started and i entered the bios and i enabled xmp than i shutdown the pc and i put all the 4 sticks togethar , the pc boot without any problems even i did some test and gaming all day. after midnight i shutdown my pc and went to bed.

The next day i started my pc and it load to desktop and reboot by it self after that it give a black screen and 55 code error
So i did remove one of them leaving my pc with 3 sticks and my pc boot without a problem , i shutdown my pc and put back the 4th one and like magic my pc boot and i did use it for 24 hours last night i shutdown my pc like everyday.

today when i wake up i tried to start my pc and the problem comes back it load to windows loading screen and freezes and then start to reboot with black screen and 55 code error i did what i did the day before i removed the 4th stick and it boot and now i am using 3 sticks with xmp

what I did
i did increase the ram voltage to v1.68 from v1.65 should i go for v1.7
i did increase the io and sa offset +v0.150

i am using msi z87 mpower with 1.11 bios the last one i think
i7-4770k 4.7ghz with 1.25v

So why my motherboard with 4 sticks of ram wont boot after i leave it shutdown for 6 hours?
After i remove one of the 4 sticks my pc boot but after loading the os i shutdown my pc and i put my 4th stick back and the pc boot without any issue why do i need to start my day with 3 sticks and after that i put the 4th to make my pc working

sorry about my poor language

Solution
Not worth to RMA
Should i keep using 3 stick 2800mhz (12gb) c12

or do you recommend to use my old 2 stick 2400mhz (16gb) c14
I already checked your motherboard's specs, and it does not appear to have a Flex Mode, which is a pseudo dual channel of sorts; channel A would run in dual channel, and B in single.
So using 3 sticks would yield worse performance than 2.
Hey there,

So, a lot of mobo's will struggle with 4 DIMM slots populated. You may have to look at increasing the SOC voltage to give a little more juice to the IMC to take all 4 DIMMS working together.

But, it could also be that one of the DIMMS is faulty.

My advice is to test each DIMM by itself outside of Windows, using memtest86+. Run memtest, and if each DIMM works for 4 passes, then it will indicate your DIMM is okay.

If all 4 DIMMS pass the test, then increasing the SOC voltage may help. It's also worth taking off the OC you have on your CPU. Then try it all again. OC one part (CPU) may have an affect on your mobo, or the IMC. So it's worth setting your CPU at stock, and trying the ram again.

I'm not familiar with that mobo, so if you can post a screenshot of your mem/voltage options we can possibly tell you what to change that may help.

Reactions: 1ah1

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I believe this simply has to do with how difficult such a memory configuration is for your cpu's Internal Memory Controller to run.
-the more dimms that are used
-the higher the frequency
-the cpu frequency overclock plays a part here: high cpu OC + high memory frequency is hard

Even though the mobo's specification lists that it supports up to 3000mhz OC, only one vendor has any kits listed to run that high - G. Skill... likely using some highly binned chips to achieve that.
The highest Corsair listed kit is 2400mhz. The list might be outdated, but the odds you getting to run 4 sticks all at 2800mhz STABLY is quite low - well, your system already shows signs of instability.

i need to start my day with 3 sticks
Simply because 3 is easier than 4.
I checked the manual, and this particular board doesn't sport a memory Flex Mode, so there's no point in running 3 sticks either, as that puts the cpu in single channel mode - do either 2 or 4 slots.

Test using the following:
-only 2 sticks at 2800, then 2 at the default speed, 1333mhz
-all four sticks at the default speed

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

1ah1

Prominent
Dec 12, 2019
Hey there,

So, a lot of mobo's will struggle with 4 DIMM slots populated. You may have to look at increasing the SOC voltage to give a little more juice to the IMC to take all 4 DIMMS working together.

But, it could also be that one of the DIMMS is faulty.

My advice is to test each DIMM by itself outside of Windows, using memtest86+. Run memtest, and if each DIMM works for 4 passes, then it will indicate your DIMM is okay.

If all 4 DIMMS pass the test, then increasing the SOC voltage may help. It's also worth taking off the OC you have on your CPU. Then try it all again. OC one part (CPU) may have an affect on your mobo, or the IMC. So it's worth setting your CPU at stock, and trying the ram again.

I'm not familiar with that mobo, so if you can post a screenshot of your mem/voltage options we can possibly tell you what to change that may help.

I reset my bios and here is screenshot of voltage options (without xmp)

Ky7qBrk.jpg

1ah1

Prominent
Dec 12, 2019
I believe this simply has to do with how difficult such a memory configuration is for your cpu's Internal Memory Controller to run.
-the more dimms that are used
-the higher the frequency
-the cpu frequency overclock plays a part here: high cpu OC + high memory frequency is hard

Even though the mobo's specification lists that it supports up to 3000mhz OC, only one vendor has any kits listed to run that high - G. Skill... likely using some highly binned chips to achieve that.
The highest Corsair listed kit is 2400mhz. The list might be outdated, but the odds you getting to run 4 sticks all at 2800mhz STABLY is quite low - well, your system already shows signs of instability.

Simply because 3 is easier than 4.
I checked the manual, and this particular board doesn't sport a memory Flex Mode, so there's no point in running 3 sticks either, as that puts the cpu in single channel mode - do either 2 or 4 slots.

Test using the following:
-only 2 sticks at 2800, then 2 at the default speed, 1333mhz
-all four sticks at the default speed

first Do you think it will help if i underclocking to 4.4 with v1.2

Second "Simply because 3 is easier than 4" but why when my pc boot with 3 sticks i shutdown my pc immediately and i put the 4th back and it boot without any issue with overclocking 4.7ghz and xmp

the problem occur when i leave my pc full shutdown for long time

like right now if i full shutdown my pc if i press start, it will boot without problem
the issue shows when it full shutdown for long time

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
first Do you think it will help if i underclocking to 4.4 with v1.2
One thing at a time. If you change too many settings without first testing for stability, it will be all the more difficult to troubleshoot.
I say, leave your cpu OC alone for now, and restore your memory OC changes(voltage, frequency, current, etc.) to their default values... do as keith12 suggested and test the entire kit with Memtest86 to rule out any faulty sticks. The results must be error free.
https://www.memtest86.com/ (the test can take a few hours, so you might wanna sleep on it.)

If the kit passes at it's stock settings, then that leaves one of the following:
-the kit may be able to be ran at 2800mhz, but requires more advanced tweaks, such as looser timings and voltage, but voltage is a little weird with memory OCs; raising the VCCSA(?) - not to be confused with the core dram voltage - too much can actually CAUSE crashes.
-the cpu's IMC may not be up to the task of running all four sticks at 2800mhz, so you will have to settle for a lower frequency.

Second "Simply because 3 is easier than 4" but why when my pc boot with 3 sticks i shutdown my pc immediately and i put the 4th back and it boot without any issue with overclocking 4.7ghz and xmp
Because you didn't give the memory cache enough time to clear itself. It's scheduled to happen every time you power down the PC.

1ah1

Prominent
Dec 12, 2019
One thing at a time. If you change too many settings without first testing for stability, it will be all the more difficult to troubleshoot.
I say, leave your cpu OC alone for now, and restore your memory OC changes(voltage, frequency, current, etc.) to their default values... do as keith12 suggested and test the entire kit with Memtest86 to rule out any faulty sticks. The results must be error free.
https://www.memtest86.com/ (the test can take a few hours, so you might wanna sleep on it.)

So i got bad news

VMugOcg.jpg

i think the 4th stick is broken

Just check that it runs in dual channel mode with 3 dimms. Sometimes the mobo may not allow that. If it does, I'd rather have 12gb of faster ram, than the slower ram.

If it's not in dual channel, then it might be an idea to use a 2 x 8gb 2400mhz ram, as dual channel will give a performance boost.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not worth to RMA
Should i keep using 3 stick 2800mhz (12gb) c12

or do you recommend to use my old 2 stick 2400mhz (16gb) c14
I already checked your motherboard's specs, and it does not appear to have a Flex Mode, which is a pseudo dual channel of sorts; channel A would run in dual channel, and B in single.
So using 3 sticks would yield worse performance than 2.

Solution

1ah1

Prominent
Dec 12, 2019
Well, at least you know why it's crashing. You should be able to RMA the faulty stick, if they are a new purchase.
Update

I request a RMA and they accept it but they told me that Quote "Unfortunately we no longer have your model in stock. What motherboard are you using? I would like to find the most comparable we currently offer that would be compatible. "
let hope it a good one

i will update you guys soon

1ah1

Prominent
Dec 12, 2019
Update

Quote " Thank you for the update and happy to help! Unfortunately it doesn't look like we have any RAM above 1600mhz. Would you be okay with an upgrade in size (GB) but at 1600mhz?"

where is the life warranty , So if i bought high end ddr3 rams when it failed i should get very low speed , he/she was thinking i am an idiot how think that size is better than speed .
what is this?

I said No
let see what will they do

Guys if you have any advice for me so i can contact them better write here

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You may not have much of a choice. It's not like DDR3 memory is still in production - it's not.

I'm a little lost by your post though. Are you saying they're offering you a 4x 8GB 1600mhz kit?
It may be slower, but you'd have better odds of getting a 4 stick 1600mhz kit running stably over a 4 stick 2800mhz one.

IMO, go with what they have. It's not worth it to go and buy another kit. It's the difference between a PC that works and one that doesn't.

1ah1

Prominent
Dec 12, 2019
You may not have much of a choice. It's not like DDR3 memory is still in production - it's not.

I'm a little lost by your post though. Are you saying they're offering you a 4x 8GB 1600mhz kit?
It may be slower, but you'd have better odds of getting a 4 stick 1600mhz kit running stably over a 4 stick 2800mhz one.

IMO, go with what they have. It's not worth it to go and buy another kit. It's the difference between a PC that works and one that doesn't.

Update

So i accept this kit CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

1600mhz c10 4x8 32gb

1ah1

Prominent
Dec 12, 2019
Just check that it runs in dual channel mode with 3 dimms. Sometimes the mobo may not allow that. If it does, I'd rather have 12gb of faster ram, than the slower ram.

If it's not in dual channel, then it might be an idea to use a 2 x 8gb 2400mhz ram, as dual channel will give a performance boost.
Try them at 2133Mhz cl10/11 and 1.6v before RMAing.

So corsair give me two options for replacing my faulty rams

ddr4 16gb 3600mhz c18 (CMW16GX4M2C3600C18)
or
ddr3 32gb 1600mhz c10 (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 )

What do you recommend guys

btw i am using now ddr3 2400mhz 16gb c11