[SOLVED] DDR3 4GB and 8GB together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
So I just got 2 sticks of ram in the mail from eBay. I ordered a pair 4GB Ballistic Sport 1600, but instead of getting 2 x 4 GB, I got one 4GB and one 8GB.

They both seem to work.

I already had two of them, so now I have three 4s and one 8..

What should I do? Can I run 3 sticks of 4GB and one 8GB together? What is my best combination?

GA-Z77X-UD3H
I5-3570K

Gaming computer for my daughter.

Solution
Windows isn't installed on this system yet.

But I just read that Z77 does not support quad channel.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-i-quad-channel-ram-with-a-gigabyte-z77-d3h-mobo.1728837/

4-4-4-8

There must be science involved here. What does the math say?

Does adding the 8GB stick to the 4s mess things up or not? Would that totally disable dual channel or could it still run in dual channel?

Is this a pipe dream? Should I just buy another 4GB or if the price is to high, search for an 8GB?
You are thinking too much.
Dual channel doesnt mean it cant support 4 RAM sticks. Dual channel means, it runs optimally with 2 sticks.
For example: You have a total of 20gb RAM with you currently. If you have that...
That board supports upto 32gb of memory so you are well within the compatibility threshhold with a total of 20gb.
Your best option is to stick them together and see if it runs smoothly. Pairing different spec sticks may or may not work together, the probability ratio is 50-50. So the only way to know is to try them together. If it runs well and good, else you have to try various permutations and combinations interchanging the RAMs and slots and see whatever works for you ultimately and RMA the leftover, if any.

Last edited:

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Made a very low offer on the 4GB stick, so it will likely be declined.

Got all 4 sticks running, though. After lots of no posts, it posted with the 8GB closest to the CPU, slot 1. Then I put 4s in slots 2 and 4. It booted with 16GB. Then I put the last 4 into slot 3. So it reads as 20GB.

Can a 4 and an 8 create a dual channel? I can't imagine this is efficient at all.

Made a very low offer on the 4GB stick, so it will likely be declined.

Got all 4 sticks running, though. After lots of no posts, it posted with the 8GB closest to the CPU, slot 1. Then I put 4s in slots 2 and 4. It booted with 16GB. Then I put the last 4 into slot 3. So it reads as 20GB.

Can a 4 and an 8 create a dual channel? I can't imagine this is efficient at all.
If it is a working set of 20gb, its as optimum as it can get. You will feel the effect while multitasking. The more RAM you have the better it will be. Right now you are on quad channel, so forget about dual channel.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
From the bios, how do I know if it is running smoothly in quad channel? I assumed each channel had to be identical in size, 4+4 or 8+8, not an 8+4.

The timing and voltage on the ram is all the same.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-i-quad-channel-ram-with-a-gigabyte-z77-d3h-mobo.1728837/

4-4-4-8

Does adding the 8GB stick to the 4s mess things up or not? Would that totally disable dual channel or could it still run in dual channel?

Is this a pipe dream? Should I just buy another 4GB or if the price is to high, search for an 8GB?

4-4-4-8

You are thinking too much.
Dual channel doesnt mean it cant support 4 RAM sticks. Dual channel means, it runs optimally with 2 sticks.
For example: You have a total of 20gb RAM with you currently. If you have that 20gb in 2 sticks, it will run more optimally than 4 sticks on synthetic benchmarks. But the difference is not noticeable with day to day usage unless you are using some kind of measuring counter. If the 4 sticks are working together, just use them as it is. Should be fine.

If it was not supported, the board would not have come with 4 slots.

Solution
You are right. I should relax and see how the build goes with the 20GB. Thanks
You are probably going to hamstring that system running 20GB if it works, because it will be running single channel mode. Also, if you decide to keep all the ram installed, the 8GB module should be in the first recommended slot by the motherboard, which is the furthest most slot from the CPU socket. I don't think your motherboard supports hybrid/asynchronous ram mode to use a higher capacity module as if it were a lower capacity, so it would be like having 4x4GB.

That system is low end enough that you would be better off running 2x4GB for the best performance or try getting another 4GB module for 4x4GB. What games would it even be running that you think need 16GB?

You are probably going to hamstring that system running 20GB if it works, because it will be running single channel mode. Also, if you decide to keep all the ram installed, the 8GB module should be in the first recommended slot by the motherboard, which is the furthest most slot from the CPU socket. I don't think your motherboard supports hybrid/asynchronous ram mode to use a higher capacity module as if it were a lower capacity, so it would be like having 4x4GB.

That system is low end enough that you would be better off running 2x4GB for the best performance or try getting another 4GB module for 4x4GB. What games would it even be running that you think need 16GB?
That is incorrect.
When you are using 4 sticks it is quad channel running on that dual channel platform. The asychronous RAM mode is default on all platforms since ages and kicks in only when the total volume is more than max supported by board. That RAM will run 20gb fine at the lowest frequency amongst them. There would be no issue if they work together.

That is incorrect.
When you are using 4 sticks it is quad channel running on that dual channel platform. The asychronous RAM mode is default on all platforms since ages and kicks in only when the total volume is more than max supported by board. That RAM will run 20gb fine at the lowest frequency amongst them. There would be no issue if they work together.
The OPs motherboard does not support quad channel mode. It's a dual channe only motherboard. Filling 4 slots is not what quad channel means. Asynchronous mode with 20GB is still faster than single channel, but also still going to be much slower than running true dual channel mode. The other mode takes half the 8GB module and runs it as a 4GB module for 16GB in dual channel mode.

The OPs motherboard does not support quad channel mode. It's a dual channe only motherboard. Filling 4 slots is not what quad channel means. Asynchronous mode with 20GB is still faster than single channel, but also still going to be much slower than running true dual channel mode. The other mode takes half the 8GB module and runs it as a 4GB module for 16GB in dual channel mode.
4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
The motherboard specification clearly states that...
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UD3H-rev-10/sp#sp

You are saying the manufacturer is wrong.

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
The motherboard specification clearly states that...
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UD3H-rev-10/sp#sp

You are saying the manufacturer is wrong.
What are you even talking about... I never said they couldn't run 20GB with an 8GB and 3x4GB modules. I'm saying it will run slower than dual channel mode. The motherboard does not support qaud channel mode. Modules are not a channel, a slot is not a channel. The channels are determined by the chipset and CPU. The Z77 chipset only supports dual channel operation in 2 or 4 slots.

What are you even talking about... I never said they couldn't run 20GB with an 8GB and 3x4GB modules. I'm saying it will run slower than dual channel mode. The motherboard does not support qaud channel mode. Modules are not a channel, a slot is not a channel. The channels are determined by the chipset and CPU. The Z77 chipset only supports dual channel operation in 2 or 4 slots.
That I have already mentioned earlier, it will run slower than dual channel. But the difference wont be that significant to be noticeable on daily usage. I have a 2700k running on an older machine with quad channel setup which was dual channel before and the difference if any is more multi tasking capability due to the addition of more RAM.

That I have already mentioned earlier, it will run slower than dual channel. But the difference wont be that significant to be noticeable on daily usage. I have a 2700k running on an older machine with quad channel setup which was dual channel before and the difference if any is more multi tasking capability due to the addition of more RAM.
Please research the terminology of dual and quad channel memory, because it looks to me like you keep confusing it with the amount of modules installed.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
The debate is actually very on topic.

No one likes being disagreed with or challenged, so it got a little pesky. But the tide could turn and be completely intellectual and respectful. I hope other join in. And there is conventional knowledge from reading articles and running synthetic benchmarks vs. grounded insider knowledge or creative thinking. Is there room for creative thinking when system specifications seem so finite?.

And just like seeking a second opinion with another doctor, I hope Hellfire13 understands my desire for other well informed voices weighing in, for he has so far been the most responsive and helpful. He has been great. But it seems counter-intuitive and outside the box. Yet I do love outside the box.

When the SSD gets here, I will install Windows and see what happens, run some tests, whatever.

The real question is whether replacing the ram with another 8 or another 4 is worth the money and the hassle?

What tests should I run, and what data report?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The debate is actually very on topic.

No one likes being disagreed with or challenged, so it got a little pesky. But the tide could turn and be completely intellectual and respectful. I hope other join in. And there is conventional knowledge from reading articles and running synthetic benchmarks vs. grounded insider knowledge or creative thinking. Is there room for creative thinking when system specifications seem so finite?.

And just like seeking a second opinion with another doctor, I hope Hellfire13 understands my desire for other well informed voices weighing in, for he has so far been the most responsive and helpful. He has been great. But it seems counter-intuitive and outside the box. Yet I do love outside the box.

When the SSD gets here, I will install Windows and see what happens, run some tests, whatever.

The real question is whether replacing the ram with another 8 or another 4 is worth the money and the hassle?

What tests should I run, and what data report?
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ZohozBajA

Different platforms but it still works about the same way.

If the memory works together their no reason to send it back. And yes it will actually run in dual channel as that board does not work in quad channel but nothing wrong with filling all slots.

Reactions: Hellfire13

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thats precisely the point. Maybe i was a bit lost with the terminologies.
Well just the quad channel part but I took it like everything else don't really matter as the results are the same. Don't stress stuff life is to short and full of RL crap.

I actually find it funny dual channel boards running 4 sticks still get a bit of a boost in a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellfire13
Status
Not open for further replies.