News DDR3 Expected to Skyrocket in Value During 2021

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Glad I bulked up my home lab when I did when ecc registered was hitting $1.25 a GB. Granted I was getting 16GB quad ranked, the cheapest tier of sticks. However, I'm surprised to see small sticks 2-4GB pushing $2+ a GB now. Server 16GB sticks still seem to be in the $1.50 per GB. However there are tons of these from server pull decomms. Consumer non-ecc, UDIMMS is probably were you are going to see the most volatility.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
However there are tons of these from server pull decomms. Consumer non-ecc, UDIMMS is probably were you are going to see the most volatility.
I probably have 128GB of ECC RDIMMs just laying around, so I might get lucky to have it be worth the time to sell it if I wait, or not given the 'tons' pulled... but before now I was convinced it was just going to collect dust for years like most of my 'stuff'.

athletics

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
the subtitle says "Time to sell your old collection of DDR3 modules" but the article says prices will go up 20% Q1 and and 40-50% throughout the year. That means for those who don't understand including the author that you want to HOLD your DDR3 modules and sell at the end of the year. Are people this incompetent?

paesan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
the subtitle says "Time to sell your old collection of DDR3 modules" but the article says prices will go up 20% Q1 and and 40-50% throughout the year. That means for those who don't understand including the author that you want to HOLD your DDR3 modules and sell at the end of the year. Are people this incompetent?

Exactly. I just looked at DDR3 prices, and Amazon has 2x8GB modules under $100. It won't be until the end of the year before prices potentially skyrocket. Another person commented getting $200 for 3x8GB, not going to happen right now.
I have a bunch of DDR3 modules that I was contemplating on getting rid of, guess I will hold on to them for a while longer.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Since there is still a whole lot of people running on the 11xx DDR3 platforms I am not surprised.
The couple three most legendary CPUs ever are still strong enough to handle what the majority of gamers are doing.
I have been on a 3570k since 2013 and I am literally putting together a "new" system on a 4790k. I'll likely even upgrade that old PC to a 3770k as it is a small investment for a significant gain, for my use.

A tough time to build a new bleeding edge PC, and unless one is using it to actually make money, there really isn't a lot of incentive outside of showing your buddies you have the latest and greatest. .