[SOLVED] DDR3 Memory ONLY WORKS PROPERLY When Overclocked

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
I have a stick of DDR3 RAM that, when running at normal speeds, will throw a blue screen as soon as Windows 10 boots up. However, when overclocking it up a step, the system runs as stable as the day is long.

Any idea why this might be?

Solution
Depending on how you overclock the specific RAM module, it could be that an auto OC setting (XMP), if that's what you use, apart from the RAM frequency also increses the DRAM voltage, and that is what is needed for the RAM module to operate normally. Timings can also be set automatically this way, resulting in stable performance.

If you specifically only bump the RAM frequency, and do not change voltage or timings, I'm not too sure I can explain why that works

But it is just a guess, since you have provided no information about the RAM or your system configuration or hardware
Depending on how you overclock the specific RAM module, it could be that an auto OC setting (XMP), if that's what you use, apart from the RAM frequency also increses the DRAM voltage, and that is what is needed for the RAM module to operate normally. Timings can also be set automatically this way, resulting in stable performance.

If you specifically only bump the RAM frequency, and do not change voltage or timings, I'm not too sure I can explain why that works

But it is just a guess, since you have provided no information about the RAM or your system configuration or hardware

Solution

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
Sorry about not providing more information last night when I made this post. The system specs are as follows:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 2
CPU - AMD FX 6300 Black Edition Unlocked (3.5GHz overclocked to 4.4GHz)
RAM - Generic DDR3 PC3-12800 (800MHz) (Part # - v01l3lf8gb52852816) + Neo Forza (Part # - NMUD380D81-1600c)
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming Edition (Revision 2) - GV-N1060G1GAM-6GD
PSU - Corsair CX550M
SSD - ADATA SU750 256GB 3D NAND SSD
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue - 1TB

As for which stick it is, I can't remember at this point. I would need to reset my BIOS settings to default and then test each stick until it throws a blue screen.