Question DDR3 Memory

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have an older build... z68 Asrock extreme4 gen3 mobo currently with 2x4gb config of Kingston Hyper X 1600.

I need 16gb mostly for work (programs, spreadsheets, web based services) etc but i do game on occasion.

I only have two slots bc the fourth is blocked by teh CPU cooler.... any real difference to these:
looking to get another few years out of my build before i build another. DDR3 is getting hard to find....
Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
What cooler are you using for your build? If your build is that which is listed in your sig space, please relist the specs in the body of your thread. Sig space specs can and will change. When that does happen the solution posted on this thread will become irrelevant to the person in the same issue as you once were.

You can go for either kits of ram, though please make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to doing the ram upgrade. Please also don't mix and match ram sticks.

Stick to 1600MHz rams.

Reactions: mojorisin23

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
What cooler are you using for your build? If your build is that which is listed in your sig space, please relist the specs in the body of your thread. Sig space specs can and will change. When that does happen the solution posted on this thread will become irrelevant to the person in the same issue as you once were.

You can go for either kits of ram, though please make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to doing the ram upgrade. Please also don't mix and match ram sticks.

Stick to 1600MHz rams.

Good call.... updated. So in the end all will fit? And why do you say stick to 1600?

Not sure if i've ever updated the BIOS. Is that something that would be automatic through windows or would need to be done manually?

Thanks!

i5- 2500K @4.2 * Corsair Carbide 400R * ASRock Z68 Extrem4 * 8GB HyperX - 1600 * EVGA 1660 Ti SC Ultra * Thermaltake FRIO

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Good call.... updated. So in the end all will fit? And why do you say stick to 1600?

Not sure if i've ever updated the BIOS. Is that something that would be automatic through windows or would need to be done manually?

Thanks!

i5- 2500K @4.2 * Corsair Carbide 400R * ASRock Z68 Extrem4 * 8GB HyperX - 1600 * EVGA 1660 Ti SC Ultra * Thermaltake FRIO

Also, the ARES is low profile, while the RIPJAWS are not... with the thermaltake frio there, do i need low profile or no?

Keeping in mind I have the Kingston Hyper X ram there now, and they fit fine. So if the ripjaws are about the same size, they will fit.

Sorry to butt in, but what difference does it make updating the bios before or after the addition or more memory sticks?
Sometimes the board maker will make changes in the Bios to make newer ram more compatible. My board wouldn't work with 4GB stick until I updated the Bios because when the board was made they were just starting to make 4GB DDR3. The same thing in that when they came out with High density DDR3 some boards required Bios updates to use it.

RothALD

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Oh, that makes sense...thanks. So then If someone had installed the memory prior to the bios update, would the system catch it on the next boot up or would the memory have to be physically removed and then re-installed to recognize it? I know, I'm taking the point to far but just curious.