DDR3 motherboard for FX

2017davidwade

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
Simple question what is the best DDR3 Motherboard todate modern or from the past. The most features ports compatibility and for me AMD socket FX I have I 9590 8 core. Need a fantastic board.

Solution
The cost of buying a compatible motherboard, high end cooling solution and high end psu which are all needed to run FX9XXX cpu’s will be higher than buying a modern platform that significantly out performs the FX9590. A modern i3 outperforms the FX9590.
Best or best currently available to support that CPU? Because the best available will be limited. Best is probably and Asus ROG Formula but those might be hard to find. Newegg has an ASRock Fatality for $250 but that CPU is not worth really using. It runs hot, draws a ton of power and almost never keeps its stock clock speed due to it.

bignastyid

Titan
Did you just buy the 9590? Can you get your money back? The AM3+ boards that could actually hope to support that 220w abomination weren't cheap when they were still in production. Now that they have been out of production for awhile they are hard to find(many tended to die earlier because of the 9000 series power requirements) and even used are hard to find and can cost an arm and a leg. The Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z was one of the better ones but still costs $200 plus used.

There is an Asus ROG Crosshair-V Formula on Newegg refurbished. Its $450.

2017davidwade

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
I am not bound by money I don't want Ryzen yet. I have 32 9590s over 200 FX cpus ect and about 10tb of ddr3 memory from a computer auction last week. Couple of 1080ti gpus. My point is I like DDR3 systems there cheaper to build. I just wanted to build a new pc on the cheap so I can build more and sell them as I normally do. I couldn't be bothered to ask google as on here would be easier. Thanks to all. Cheers

USAFRet

Titan

They were sold cheap at auction for a reason.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You're going to build some awfully bottlenecked systems, you are gonna have a very hard time even FINDING motherboards that can properly run that CPU (and when you do find them you will overpay for them), and then you are going to be fighting with them to get them to run stable.

The best thing you could do is toss the 9590's in the garbage.

Jul 21, 2018
HI
the best thing to do with the FX9590 was the board from ASRock Extreme9 was made primarily for this type of processor, if you are have good cooling unit for CPU and learn more dynamics of CPU ,NB, HT 3.0 and RAM .

FX have same power like Intel Core i7-7700K or i7-6700K if the user does what to do ,here is my fx 3 place from the top ( NON-OC-MODE )

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/qwdf8x/8

bignastyid

Titan

Now click on the single thread(this is what maters most for gaming) and watch it fall to the point it barely beats out a Pentium. Also that's a synthetic benchmark not a real world scenario, its not all that surprising a 8 core cpu beats a quad core in an 8 threaded synthetic bench. The problem is thats about the only thing they will do well in(the other is file compression). The IPC is low, has extreme power and cooling requirements, they are notoriously unstable and motherboards are expensive.

Nowiof you add Ryzen and a Coffee lake i5 8400 to the list(using the newer 2017 version of the benchmark rather than the older 2015 version from your list) you'll see the 9590 drops significantly.
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/kfzlb3/8

The cost of buying a compatible motherboard, high end cooling solution and high end psu which are all needed to run FX9XXX cpu’s will be higher than buying a modern platform that significantly out performs the FX9590. A modern i3 outperforms the FX9590.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Did you get them from Hawaii? Turns out that they didn't really have a volcano eruption, it's just that a whole bunch of people tried to run FX-9590s.

2017davidwade

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
Did you just buy the 9590? Can you get your money back? The AM3+ boards that could actually hope to support that 220w abomination weren't cheap when they were still in production. Now that they have been out of production for awhile they are hard to find(many tended to die earlier because of the 9000 series power requirements) and even used are hard to find and can cost an arm and a leg. The Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z was one of the better ones but still costs $200 plus used.
Hard to find, I have 21 FX chips from quads 6 cores and 10 9590s I have loads lol