DDR3 On A Budget: Six 6 GB Memory Kits

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]pirateboy[/nom]right, this is about budget ram...not including gskill in this article is just plain ridiculous[/citation]

You can't blame the site when your favorite brand chooses not to participate, it's their choice.

Why aren't you saying "Brand X's decision not to participate is rediculous"? Are you simply too lazy?

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]You can't blame the site when your favorite brand chooses not to participate, it's their choice.Why aren't you saying "Brand X's decision not to participate is rediculous"? Are you simply too lazy?[/citation]

1. gskill is not my favorite brand, i don't have favorite brands
2. it's my "choice" to let them know what i think through a feature intended for that purpose.
3. are you simply too dumb?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I'm still a bit confused as to how you tested. Did you test each set all at one time? Wouldn't a single module be able to hold back the test if you did this, and wouldn't it be possible to get another package and retest with different results if this was the case?

Just thought I'd bring it up. This test could be pretty freaking subjective...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]I'm still a bit confused as to how you tested. Did you test each set all at one time? Wouldn't a single module be able to hold back the test if you did this, and wouldn't it be possible to get another package and retest with different results if this was the case?Just thought I'd bring it up. This test could be pretty freaking subjective...[/citation]

All tested at once, which is the best way BECAUSE a single module can hold them back. Those kind of penalties are self-inflicted when a company doesn't have adequate quality control.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

What you're saying still is that it's the editor's fault when a memory company chooses not to participate. It's nice to know your opinion on the subject, but unfortunately opinions that contradict fact aren't usefull.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]CptTripps[/nom]I picked up the GSkill 6GB kit several months ago for $90. Has performed well for me, I am not an OC'er though.[/citation]

Great info! I only wish you could try overclocking and report some results, since G.Skill didn't participate here.

Anyone else who has G.Skill and does overclock, can you report your best speed, timings, and DIMM/UnCore voltages?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]All tested at once, which is the best way BECAUSE a single module can hold them back. Those kind of penalties are self-inflicted when a company doesn't have adequate quality control.[/citation]

Thank you.

That said, the only way to really know your chances of getting a good set is to test literally hundreds of modules from different batches.

This test is still a bit subjective, especially if the memory makers are sending you ram...who's to say they don't test several and find the best ones? Even if you catch them doing it and you call them out for sending you better kits than what you find readily available in a store, they could call it a fluke.

There's really no way to know what you're going to get for certain when you buy memory. I've gone high end Corsair and gotten DOA or failed within a month, and I've bought really cheap ram and still have it.

If you waited a month and bought some just shipped into NewEgg of the same exact models you'd no doubt get slightly different results.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Noob Saibot[/nom]Ouch, 6GB of RAM is overkill lol. But not bad for its price I guess.[/citation]
Depends on your needs. If you still only use your computer to play mortal kombat, you're not going to need 6gb no. But I've got 6gb in my work pc right here, and it's regularily filling up.

Spathi

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Thank you.That said, the only way to really know your chances of getting a good set is to test literally hundreds of modules from different batches. This test is still a bit subjective, especially if the memory makers are sending you ram...who's to say they don't test several and find the best ones?[/citation]

Correct, more than 100's though, I think on a production line something over 100,000 samples of a large very population will get you the top (and bottom) percentile or something like that, but it is up to the manufacturer to do the line sampling the reviewers can not do it.

Sometimes the reviewers get unlocked or unfinished engineering samples anyway and they could be better or worse than the final product. If the memory is better than the retail it just means the company has good quality control to find it in the first place... hehehe

Some companies release good product for the fist 6 months to get good reviews from people on the net then drop the quality... it is a no win for us, just remember the companies that do it and boycott them.

All companies make mistakes from time to time, that's just life.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]JN77[/nom]What about the 4gb x 3 kits... there must be some budget (12gb) kits, I paid allot for the 24gb I have now with 64bit os.[/citation]

No. 4GB DDR3 modules are extremely rare and you pay for rarity.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
In all the benchies the "budget" ram is always just about as good as the expensive stuff. It's almost been a comical revelation that it's stupid to spend more on fancy RAM. Gskill is what I almost always use, I bought 6GB about a year ago for not more than $100 I think.

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I wish manufacturers would stop using thermal tape to glue heat syncs on ram, especially speedy pc3 16000. is it really that difficult to make a a heat spreader that touches the ram chips and uses decent thermal goo instead? we already have the whole wind tunnel thing going on with a half dozen 120mm fans... *grumble*

graill

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
My gigabyte X58 extreme board does not like the crucial ram listed here. Try as i might the mobo just would not stop cycling on and off. In disgust i went to the local shop and grabbed a stick of samsung 1gig ddr3 to shove in there to get it up and running. no amount of tweaking in the bios for the ddr could get the crucial number listed running. Then the capper, i call gigabyte and they tell me crucial doesnt work well with that board. i ended up getting 2 more sticks of the samsung and things are fine. Be warned, use supertalent for now as it was the only ddr3 gigabyte said they used for testing. That or i had a moron as a tech rep.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]graill[/nom]My gigabyte X58 extreme board does not like the crucial ram listed here. Try as i might the mobo just would not stop cycling on and off. In disgust i went to the local shop and grabbed a stick of samsung 1gig ddr3 to shove in there to get it up and running. no amount of tweaking in the bios for the ddr could get the crucial number listed running. Then the capper, i call gigabyte and they tell me crucial doesnt work well with that board. i ended up getting 2 more sticks of the samsung and things are fine. Be warned, use supertalent for now as it was the only ddr3 gigabyte said they used for testing. That or i had a moron as a tech rep.[/citation]

Most people currently having problems with DDR3 on X58 chipsets are putting the memory in the first, third, and fifth slots counting away from the socket. But the X58 design demands that the last slot of each channel be filled first, the second, fourth, and sixth slot counting from the socket.

graill

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Most people currently having problems with DDR3 on X58 chipsets are putting the memory in the first, third, and fifth slots counting away from the socket. But the X58 design demands that the last slot of each channel be filled first, the second, fourth, and sixth slot counting from the socket.[/citation]

Been there did that, the giga tech had me swapping so many different combos i finally said fix the damn chipset and hung up. I did get some supertalent and replaced the temp samsungs, worked perfectly. Will be getting an rma monday from newegg for the crucial crap.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]graill[/nom]Will be getting an rma monday from newegg for the crucial crap.[/citation]

Well then you're going to be THRILLED to see which Newegg-purchased memory went into this month's most expensive System Builder Marathon machine.

graill

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Well then you're going to be THRILLED to see which Newegg-purchased memory went into this month's most expensive System Builder Marathon machine.[/citation]

I havent got a problem with newegg, never have, they have excellent CS. Maybe you read something wrong? Or maybe the crucial rep and gigabyte reps both telling me to use different ram other than crucial for now is the thrilling part?

Is this months marathon including a rev 1.0 gigabyte X58 extreme mobo with the crucial ram kit listed? is that why i will be thrilled? (grin)

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Not to mention have you heard of AC? If you can't afford to run it or don't have it and average temps are around 40c no you probably don't need to be overclocking.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]OAbrey[/nom]Corsair's 7-7-7-20 is out now:http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku= [...] re=CorsairSweet![/citation]

Invalid response to a budget memory article, please find the appropriate place to point this product out.

Status
Not open for further replies.