DDR3 Or Not?

stublore

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Strangely when I searched for DDR3, all the posts in the search turned out not to exist.
So I am getting a new PC in the new year, and I am wondering is the added expense of DDR3 worth investing in?
I assume DDR3 will replace DDR2 soon, so it makes sense to buy this sort of RAM for a new system, but I wonder is the performance worth the price?
Any replies appreciated :)

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
I think DDR 3 is too expensive right now. The prices on DDR3 will probally be coming down with in the first half of '08 when it becomes more mainstream. Its now averaging $210 a gig. In 4 months it will probally be down to 175 a gig, at least that is the way it usually works when a new memory comes down the pike.

G

At the moment DDR3 isn't as competitive (speed or price wise) over DDR2. DDR3 suffers from high latency issues and fast DDR2 modules can easily match their DDR3 counterparts. I'm sure as time goes on and DDR3 gets fine tuned, it may be the better option but at this time it's only for the early adopters or people with a large bankroll. Unless it becomes as cheap as current DDR2 modules, I doubt it will get wide acceptance as DDR4 is on the very near horizon...

As all things do, it will come down in price eventually. As it stands only a handfull of motherboards will even take DDR3 memory so you not only pay premo prices for it you will pay premo for the motherboard as well. My advice to anyone building a new PC within the next 6 months is to use the lesser expensive parts. You can always go for one of those boards (such as the Gigabyte P35C) that takes both DDR2 and DDR3 modules.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
DDR3=NOT
DDR3 has yet to reach the bang for buck tipping point.
Heck I didn't make a machine that required DDR2 until just 2 months ago.
I will most likely build at least one more DDR2 machine before the price of DDR3 hits the point where I'll buy it.

Robosquirrel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I wouldnt do it. The lowest speed DDR3 memory the 1033 i believe is 303 bucks for 2gigs. Plus I hear that if your a gamer you only need DDR2 800 memory and thats fine.