DDR3 Performance: What Makes Memory Perform Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Interesting. I'll be coming back here several times over the next several months, as I save up for & consider options for a new computer. Good to know 2x 2 stick kits arn't nessicarily equal to a 4 stick kit, and annoying since I don't see many 4 stick kits in local online stores.

Also good to know frequency has such a measurable impact on compression, I probably don't need fancy high freq ram but now I'm going to be more annoyed my budget won't allow it.

Thanks for the ponderous read! :)

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
This was such an eye opening read. Until now I though different ram frequencies really didn't amount to much. By those times in multitasking ? Wow.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope. Latency stays roughly the same while clock cycles speed up. DDR3-1333 CAS 6 and DDR3-2666 CAS 12 have the same latency in nanoseconds, the number of cycles doubles while each cycle occurs in half the time.

Pretty good review, made for a fun read. I'm still amazed at the ram incompatibility when mixing different sets. I know it exists, it's not the first time people have experienced this. I've mixed various ram just on a roll of the dice and I guess I've been lucky. The brand mixing was random. When upgrading one system from ddr2 to ddr3 I threw 2x2gb of patriot in with 2x2gb of geil evo one without issue. When upgrading one of these systems and adding ram, I added 2x4gb of team zeus at 1600mhz with 2x4gb of geil evo corsa at 1333mhz and just let the motherboard configure it and match to the lower speeds/settings. No issues with either.

xFolterknechtx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
1.65V sticks on Z87/97 boards? I think the upper limit Intel mentioned in their white paper for Ivy and Haswell was something around 1.55 - 1.575V for DRAM voltage.

Do what you want with your hardware guys, but I ll stay clear of these voltages.

Feb 12, 2015
I have 2 questions for future articles.
1 - Why do memory control sugest no higher voltage then 1.65V yet my DRAM says it can handle up to 2.4V and why would they make a DRAM capable of handling 2.4V if no memory control can push safely over 1.65V? ( I'm runing on Kingston Beast 32GB 2400MHz )
2 - Why is there some DRAMs that are not compatible with some motherboards, what makes it compatible or not?

InvalidError

Titan
When you have two different dual-DIMM kits that refuse to "play nice" with each other, it would be interesting, for completeness' sake, to also verify that the same two DIMM model pairs will play nice with another pair of the same model. Possibly even test permutations of those pairs to see how much of the pass/fail combinations might ultimately be luck of the draw with process yields.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Ok, I'll bite:

"Can I use any DDR3 1600 DRAM in my system?"

Well, can I use my Mushkin 8g DDR3 at 1600 in my new Skylake build or not? At least until I can afford 16g DDR4 at 3200?

Sabishii Hito

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
CMY32GX3M4A2400C10R is no longer available for purchase even from Corsair directly; the SKU seems to be EOL. The Amazon link goes to a 2x8GB kit of DDR3-1600C9. Corsair only sells the much more expensive Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2400C10 kit now, if one is looking for 4x8GB DDR3-2400C10 from them.

AndrewBA

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
When You benchmarked the RAM at 1600MHz, what timings did You use? Were they the same as at 2400MHz, or from the DIMMs' SPD, or custom-set for best performance?

Thanks!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I have 2 questions for future articles.
1 - Why do memory control sugest no higher voltage then 1.65V yet my DRAM says it can handle up to 2.4V and why would they make a DRAM capable of handling 2.4V if no memory control can push safely over 1.65V? ( I'm runing on Kingston Beast 32GB 2400MHz )
2 - Why is there some DRAMs that are not compatible with some motherboards, what makes it compatible or not?

Early DDR3 went to higher voltages - I myself wouldn't go to 2 (except in extreme OCing and Suicide Shots), I seldom even take it to 1.7, thought the DRAM and MC can handle that safely.

Question 2 I get much deeper into, in the followup article I am preparing...There are numerous things that can factor in, one main item with older mobos is that memory chips today are generally all high density (4Gb) which older mobo chipsets aren't compatible with.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
When you have two different dual-DIMM kits that refuse to "play nice" with each other, it would be interesting, for completeness' sake, to also verify that the same two DIMM model pairs will play nice with another pair of the same model. Possibly even test permutations of those pairs to see how much of the pass/fail combinations might ultimately be luck of the draw with process yields.

I've tried something similar to that and had results that didn't make a lot of sense which is why I often refer to mixing as being a 'crapshoot'. Might have 4 identical sets and 1-2 play nice, 2-3 play nice but 1-3 won't...and maybe 4 won't play play with any of the 1, 2, 3 sets

T

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Ok, I'll bite:

"Can I use any DDR3 1600 DRAM in my system?"

Well, can I use my Mushkin 8g DDR3 at 1600 in my new Skylake build or not? At least until I can afford 16g DDR4 at 3200?

____________-

Think that remains to be seen, I believe they expect to still have Skylake be backward compatible with DDR3, so we will prob see Hybrid mobos, like the last of the circa 775 chipset mobos that could go either/or (here would be DDR3 or DDR4)

InvalidError

Titan

That was exactly what I had in mind: show that "identical sets" are not necessarily as identical as people think and that "matched sets" do not necessarily guarantee quad-DIMM operation - at least not without some extra effort.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
CMY32GX3M4A2400C10R is no longer available for purchase even from Corsair directly; the SKU seems to be EOL. The Amazon link goes to a 2x8GB kit of DDR3-1600C9. Corsair only sells the much more expensive Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2400C10 kit now, if one is looking for 4x8GB DDR3-2400C10 from them.

It appears that is correct, this is the set Corsair sent for the testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS