[SOLVED] DDR4-2666MHz RAM

Apr 26, 2021
I've recently bought an MSI GF63 Thin laptop. Two RAM slots are available, but only one slot is used while the other slot is empty. The factory installed RAM chip has the following label: "SK hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V-SA2-11." The one that I can easily find sold online is labeled as follows: "SK hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V-SA1-11." Note that "SA1" vs. "SA2" is the only thing that distinguishes both RAM chips from each other. Is such a difference significant or irrelevant? I want to put another 8GB RAM chip on the empty slot to upgrade my laptop's memory from 8GB to 16GB.

Solution
Its best if you get a 2x8GB kit so you will run in dual channel mode, if you can try and stay away for a single stick. Single channel will work but you will get a performance boost from dual channel.
What does the lower numbers show on the SA2?

For the SA1
SK hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V-SA1-11
HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK (what is this on the SA2)

If they are the same you should be ok, the only thing i can find on SK Hynix webpage for SA0, SA1, SA2 is that they could be thermal sensors. The only other thing i could think of would be SA1 is denoted for consumer sale while SA2 is for OEM sale. I have yet to find a SA2 stick for sale on the internet other then Ebay.

SA1 and SA2 are part of RAM module inventory name in RAM module batches made for particular laptop manufacturer. You want to know real RAM module model name. Look in second row - for Hunix SODIMM RAM modules name is long character row like HMA81... Yours seems is HMA81GS6DJR8N-VK. Search for this module in shops around you.

Apr 26, 2021
What does the lower numbers show on the SA2?

For the SA1
SK hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V-SA1-11
HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK (what is this on the SA2)

If they are the same you should be ok, the only thing i can find on SK Hynix webpage for SA0, SA1, SA2 is that they could be thermal sensors. The only other thing i could think of would be SA1 is denoted for consumer sale while SA2 is for OEM sale. I have yet to find a SA2 stick for sale on the internet other then Ebay.

The lower row reads as follows: HMA81GS6DJR8N-VK NO AC 2016. And so, it's not an exact match due to a "D" appearing in place of the "C". The SK Hynix website's description of "SA1" & "SA2" is cryptic, stating "JEDEC reference design file used for this design." I do know, though, that the last 4 digits on the lower row, "2016," means the RAM chip has been manufactured on the 16th week of the year 2020. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait awhile before seeing a lot of the "SA2" RAM chips sold online.

Apr 26, 2021
SA1 and SA2 are part of RAM module inventory name in RAM module batches made for particular laptop manufacturer. You want to know real RAM module model name. Look in second row - for Hunix SODIMM RAM modules name is long character row like HMA81... Yours seems is HMA81GS6DJR8N-VK. Search for this module in shops around you.

According to the SK Hynix website, "HMA81GS6DJR8N-VK" is the RAM chip's part number. I can't find one sold locally. I can order it through eBay, but it'll cost a lot. The shipping cost to the Philippines will likely be about the same amount, if not more than the price of the "SA2" RAM chip. I guess I'll just have to wait awhile to get a good deal. The "SA2" RAM chips will eventually find its way to local stores here.

when adding ram to existing ram its about a 50/50 shot of it working. More then likely it will work but this is why it s normally recommended to buy a kit so you know the two sticks will work together.

Its really anybodies guess if they will work together. Having the same size, speed, timings, and voltages help but knowing that the memory chips are from a different bin and maybe changes since its a different gen of die could cause them to fail. wish there was a better answer but nobody know till you try.

Apr 26, 2021
when adding ram to existing ram its about a 50/50 shot of it working. More then likely it will work but this is why it s normally recommended to buy a kit so you know the two sticks will work together.

Its really anybodies guess if they will work together. Having the same size, speed, timings, and voltages help but knowing that the memory chips are from a different bin and maybe changes since its a different gen of die could cause them to fail. wish there was a better answer but nobody know till you try.

It seems that replacing the factory-installed 8GB RAM chip with one that's 16GB is a good alternative to avoid compatibility issues, associated with installing two RAM chips with slightly different labels or part numbers. But, then, I don't know what label to look for on the 16GB chip.

Apr 26, 2021
what kind of price point are you looking at? Do you have any local shops or webpages you can order from?

These would be ideal Link

These are spec wise what you already have Link
what kind of price point are you looking at? Do you have any local shops or webpages you can order from?

These would be ideal Link

These are spec wise what you already have Link

Thanks faalin. I'll study the links you've given & decide later whether to wait for "SA2" RAM chips to be sold at local stores here in the Philippines or buy the 16GB version. If I can sell the factory-installed 8GB RAM chip for, say, P3,000, then I'll definitely buy the 16GB replacement.