Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
System Specs:
i9-9900K
2080 TI FE
32GB Corsair 4000mhz RAM
Asus Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)

So I built my PC over a year ago, and I recently downloaded some software that showed my RAM speed at 2133. I instantly wanted to change this as I have 4000mhz RAM. I restarted, went to BIOS, and switched the RAM under the tweaker settings to 4000mhz from 2133. It instantly changed to 3900 on restart. I went and changed it again and it showed as 4000mhz after this. I was having an issue with my browsers opening slowly so I deleted all the network adapters under Device Manager and let them reinstall automatically after a restart.. my ram is back to 3900. I'm sure there isn't a big difference between 3900 and 4000, but just curious why this is happening?

Solution
Please don't use those programs to update your things, use the specific pages for the respective motherboards you own.

This seems to be recurring as they for some reason just stop keeping them updated.

Go through the page here and make sure you update everything relevant to you.

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Ok. Would it be more advisable to use the XMP memory profile since I’m a newbie? I feel like such an idiot. My computer just crashed giving a kernal_heap error or something?

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
I don't mean to clog the thread, but I swapped it to XMP II profile which looks good. I'm not exactly sure why, but this RAM setting tied directly to my browsers opening slowly (taking 10 seconds to open as if on a timer).. when I swapped back to "Auto" my browser again took forever to open (regardless of browser). I then went back into bios and swapped from Auto to the preloaded XMP II which runs my RAM at 4000mhz.... my browser opens instantly again. How strange...

Edit: And then randomly browser takes forever to open again....

Last edited:

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
I'm using
Samsung 970 PRO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology
xdOTlhr.png
UuCXqGr.png
fXCdtzT.png
IkdZdob.png

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Your RAM is spot on, though. Some decent dies too.

Thanks, not exactly sure what that means LOL

but here is a short video of how my browser opens.

D2fVaOU.gif

This happens regardless of the browser.

It went away momentarily while I was figuring out my memory settings and opened instantly... I cant for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it. I've reinstalled browser, tried other browsers, did the command prompt stuff, I deleted all network adapters and restarted... any help would just be so appreciated.

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Are your RAM sticks in slot 2 and 4 from the CPU? It's most likely not the issue, but give it a go.
When the browser is open and you open a new tab, or a new window, do you have the same issue?

New tab or New window opens instantly, its only when it originally opens. I have 4 slots on my motherboard for RAM and they are all 4 taken up with 8gb 4000mhz each to make a total of 32gb
Cwrt2q2.jpg

I think its also worth noting that this didnt always happen.

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Just windows defender, I did have Kaspersky installed today, but I was reading somewhere that Windows defender is enough.

I've also ran numerous malware scans thinking that it could be malware.. and I've tried with 0 extensions and a fresh install of every browser with default settings

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Technically it is, I would supplement it with Malwarebytes and do a scan a couple of times a week, though. No need to buy the premium.

Do any other program hang initially on startup? If not, do you have a switch or router somewhere that hasn't been powered down for a long time?

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
I've used malware bytes trying to fix this situation, i'll probably take your advice and keep it installed. No other program hangs on startup, and perhaps my router hasnt been reset in awhile. I had the browser opening up instantly earlier today when I was messing around with everything, but its almost like it reverted. So hmmm yeah maybe the router. I'll try to reset it once I can, my wife is work at home so I cant just go shutting off the net yet... however I can go over to my other computer which is also hard wired to the router same as my main computer, and the browser opens instantly.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Ok then.

Right-click on taskbar, select Task Manager, go to the Startup tab, and disable everything, reboot.

Try opening your browser.

We're eliminating Software issues.

I'm assuming you have installed all the drivers and chipset drivers for your Motherboard.

Last edited:

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Ok then.

Right-click on taskbar, select Task Manager, go to the Startup tab, and disable everything, reboot.

Try opening your browser.

We're eliminating Software issues.

I'm assuming you have installed all the drivers and chipset drivers for your Motherboard.

I did this and no results.

I do think there are a couple things I should mention... When I last tried to fix this I did update my BIOS to the latest version, however, when I open armoury crate I see this:
vzAYBAk.png

which makes me think that perhaps I also need the older versions of BIOS, but I'm not sure.

Another thing I'd like to note is that I have tried upgrading the ethernet driver multiple times and restarted, yet it still shows as an available update:
jA48Key.png

Not sure why this is... One of the possible solutions I found online was to delete every network driver in the Device Manager and restart, which I did a couple times.

I also think its worth mentioning that some software does startup and doesn't show up on task manager startup menu.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Please don't use those programs to update your things, use the specific pages for the respective motherboards you own.

This seems to be recurring as they for some reason just stop keeping them updated.

Solution

Sinafey

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012

OK so I've updated most things here.. I think everything is up to date, but i was uninstalling software I dont use and I'm pretty sure I uninstalled a network driver I need.. I tried reaquiring it on Asus website, but I couldn't. I did manage to install it through the Intel website directly, but I think it was already reinstalled automatically on restart, not exactly sure, however, now I am getting very inconsistent speeds of up to 50mbps but averaging 20mbps when I pay and get 1gig per second.. my other computer speed test runs fine and gets what it is supposed to, but now my internet on my main computer is very bad... ugh..
4mlekoK.png

I tried fixing this by resetting the net using the netsch or w/e commands in command prompt.. oddly enough my browser opened without delay on restart, did speed test and its still slow, then i closed browser and opened again, delay is back. I am just so lost...

Last edited: