DDR4 can latency

trevorcory

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Hi I'm in the middle of building my new rig and it's been a whole since I have.

I've been looking at memory and have realised the new DDR4 memory has very high cas latency. I've tried researching it but not really understanding it. As I understand it may have high latencies but still runs as fast as any other. Should I look to buy the fastest speed or the lowest cas latency?.

I've looking at 3000mhz sticks but have a cas of 15 to 17.

Can anyone recommend a good one to go for (2*8)?.

Thanks

Solution
Speed and latency stand in a ratio.

Try: Latence/Ratio=estimated speed (lower is better)

17/3000=0,0056
9/1600=0,0056

So they are pretty much the same. And especially in gaming you wont notice any difference.

I'd just choose what is cheaper or some brand you prefer.
I for example never had any problems with G.Skill RAM and they arent too expensive. :)

migronesien

Honorable
Speed and latency stand in a ratio.

Try: Latence/Ratio=estimated speed (lower is better)

17/3000=0,0056
9/1600=0,0056

So they are pretty much the same. And especially in gaming you wont notice any difference.

I'd just choose what is cheaper or some brand you prefer.
I for example never had any problems with G.Skill RAM and they arent too expensive. :)

Solution

Not really. DDR3 runs at higher clocks than DDR2, which means the same latency amounts to a higher number of clock cycles. The pattern repeats with DDR4, though the cheaper kits at the moment do still have a slightly higher latency than cheap DDR3 kits. That should level out over time as DDR4 matures.

trevorcory

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
So no point getting the fastest as I probably wouldn't notice any difference in gaming, but is there any advantage buying quicker ram? If I bought (2x8) now would I need to buy the exact same memory if wanted to another 2x8 in future?

TRENDING THREADS