[SOLVED] DDR4 for i5-6500.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
How cheap can I go on DDR4 ram for a light gaming computer, well, as much as the cpu can handle? It is actually a i5-6600 non k, but I didn't want any confusion, and let's say an RX 570 4 GB video card.

What will and what will not make a difference? What is a good frugal yet efficient choice for ram?

Thanks

Solution
I would select the least expensive known name brand you can source. It will probably be XMP rated for a speed far beyond what your mobo can handle, but should default to 21xx or 24xx.

For instance Corsair has a decent value line. G Skill Ripjaws are a good value option, and there are plenty of others. The advice given above is a good idea as well. Checking against QVL is a good idea. I would suspect that the age of the motherboard is going to have you searching models that are "functionally obsolete" by way of being superseded with something faster.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
It is going in a GIGABYTE Ultra Durable motherboard, not micro but no overclocking features. I forget the model number, and I'm not home right now. It was sent to me by mistake last year, and the seller just said keep it and mailed me the right one. Finally trying to put it to use.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would select the least expensive known name brand you can source. It will probably be XMP rated for a speed far beyond what your mobo can handle, but should default to 21xx or 24xx.

For instance Corsair has a decent value line. G Skill Ripjaws are a good value option, and there are plenty of others. The advice given above is a good idea as well. Checking against QVL is a good idea. I would suspect that the age of the motherboard is going to have you searching models that are "functionally obsolete" by way of being superseded with something faster.

Solution
How cheap can I go on DDR4 ram for a light gaming computer, well, as much as the cpu can handle? It is actually a i5-6600 non k
It is going in a GIGABYTE Ultra Durable motherboard, not micro but no overclocking features. I forget the model number,
Depends on motherboard used. Model name of the board is essential here.
If you have non-Z series motherboard, then DDR4 will not run at higher speed than 2133mhz.

With Z series board you can go up to ~DDR4 3600mhz.