DDR4 memory compatibility question:

Glen_4

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
I have this motherboard, which has 8 slots for memory, and came with 4X4GB DDR4 memory. A colleague gave me a couple of 8GB sticks of DDR4 memory he had no use for, and I am wondering if they would be compatible with what I have. If not, would it be better (faster) memory than what I am currently using.

They both say PC4 on them, but beyond that I have no idea of the similarities or differences. The 8GB sticks are SK hynix, and the motherboard specs say SK hynix is compatible but does not list the exact model number on these sticks, showing it supports "HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF" while the ones I acquired are "HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF"

For that matter the number of the existing GEIL sticks are not listed on the motherboard compatibility list either..

I'd like to get at least 32GB RAM, and while I know I'd be better off getting memory that is all the same brand, if this works for now I'd like to try it until I can afford the $$ for the matched memory purchase.

Would I be able to mix these, and if not, am I better off with the 2 8GB sticks over my 4 4GB sticks?

I have attached a link to a picture of the two sticks and their labels.

Thanks in advance..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dUWDEB3Vrx8cLgz8A

Solution
You're not going to break anything, but its not likely they will work right. You generally can't just mix and match memory. If the speed and timings are close it may work, it may slow down. Its really impossible to tell for sure.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You're not going to break anything, but its not likely they will work right. You generally can't just mix and match memory. If the speed and timings are close it may work, it may slow down. Its really impossible to tell for sure.

Solution