DDR4 Memory Prototypes Demostrated at ISSCC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Don't be confused, "DDR5" is just a short name for GDDR5 it is still based on the DDR3 SDRAM architecture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

DDR4 SDRAM new and it is still under development.

Since memory controller is already incorporated in the processor, guess who will implement it first, AMD or INTEL...

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]computerfarmer[/nom]Why DDR4 instead of DDR5. DDR5 has been produced for years for video cards. Video cards were first to use DDR3 then computer systems followed in their footsteps. If video card companies saw no used for DDR4 then why is it being looked at it at all. I am confused a the thought process here.[/citation]
That's not true. Video cards use GDDR 5, which IIRC was a development of DDR3. DDR5 doesn't exist yet. Also, the DDR4 you refer to was actually GDDR4, not the DDR4 we are talking about.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
[citation][nom]computerfarmer[/nom]Why DDR4 instead of DDR5. DDR5 has been produced for years for video cards. Video cards were first to use DDR3 then computer systems followed in their footsteps. If video card companies saw no used for DDR4 then why is it being looked at it at all. I am confused a the thought process here.[/citation]

video cards been using gddr5, not ddr5, gddr5 is basicly the same as ddr4. cant remember why the name difference.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
DDR4 will struggle and fail in the desktop market as DDR3 is so oversuplied and cheap, not to mention that on Sandybridge (Ivybridge also, I assume) 1333 stuff does the job amply, and will do for the a while.

Ivybridge unlocked processor should last 5 years unless some major changes come about pc wise.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
By the time DDR4 arrives on the mainstream market the current glut of cheap DDR3 will be gone. So I don't think that will be a major hindrance to adoption. We'll just have to see how pricey the initial modules are and how much of an increase in performance occurs. Odds are it won't be earth shattering, given that very few applications are bandwidth bound, latency is a greater issue at the moment.

The one area I see where greater bandwidth could be of use is with AMDs APUs and Intel's On-CPU GPUs. When you have both a quad-core CPU and a GPU sharing a dual channel memory bus I'm sure that bandwidth can become an issue, and as Intel and AMD increase the power of their on-chip GPUs bandwidth will become a more pressing issue. In the short term, though, servers are going to be the main market, where DDR4's lower power consumption and enhanced ECC is a big selling point.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I just got SB-E the month after it launched. With the recent Ivy Bridge delay, I'm glad I did. I'll probably jump to Ivy Bridge-E if there is such a beast later this year, early next year. At that point, I'll hold off any upgrades until they release a 1366->2011->whatever's next system with DDR4.
Quad channel DDR3 gives me plenty of bandwidth, as did 3 channel before that.

computerfarmer

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Now that we have cleared up DDR4 vs GDDR5. I have another question. What is DDR4's bandwidth example: DDR3 1000mhz = 2000mhz effective bandwidth - GDDR5 1000mhz = 4000mhz effective bandwidth DDR4 1000mhz = ????mhz effective bandwidth
Last time there was a memory change similar to this, Intel went one direction(Ram bus DR) and AMD went with DDR2.
Motherboards are only at a max of 32gb of ram and windows 7 can handle 6x this amount.
It is a good thing there will be lots of time before we see this change.

coreym72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Well... I'm looking forward to the ultimate in RAM Drive performance. Two internal drives for OS and storage while the apps are installed in RAM. Save the memory contents (img) when needed or powering down. Now only if this was a built in Windows feature as the days of DOS.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
People are getting way to hung up on this. No one is getting DDR4 unless they do a platform upgrade. Gone are the days of the external memory controller. Memory upgrades from now on will be lockstep with platform/cpu upgrades unless intel makes a CPU with a internal memory controller that can handle both DDR3 and DDR4 which I find unlikely.

And they have to be pin incompatible since they user different signaling and power profiles.....you would damage the MB, CPU, memory controller, memory if they were all the same socket but different ram tpes

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Damn, I was planning on upgrading sometime next year. I don't think I can wait until 2014. Maybe if I just throw in a new video card and OC my processor some more I can hold off. I just feel like my i5 750 is getting long in the tooth already.

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm probably going to end up upgrading during black Friday this year and then again sometime in 2014. I'm an addict. The first step's admitting it, right?

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
damn this is amazing, ahahahaha hate technology advancing so fast, i hope my waller can take in more new builds soon can't help but always want the top dog and the mid dog, make it like want all of it ahahaha. sucks my pocket dry

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I have yet to make the jump to DDR3. I really need to upgrade[/citation]

Same here, still rocking DDR2 800 MHz memory here with my Phenom II and 790FX motherboard :)

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]they quote a lot of figures while saying nothing about expected latency . keep in mind ddr3 was slow to adopt for several reasons 1. many peopel had jsut shelled out money of ddr2 based systems before ddr3 was annouced or available . 2. DRR3 did and still does cost drastically more than ddr 23. ddr3 has drastically higher latency compared to ddr 2 , if you take a lower speed ddr 3 module and match it to the same speed ddr2 the ddr 2 will perform better because it has lower latency number 3 being the Biggest reasons budget minded enthusiast were not enthusiastic about ddr3. we need latency figures along side the speed figures .[/citation]
1) You can only use one or the other so people just buy whichever the mobo they are buying supports, which will be DDR4 more and more as time goes on just like it was for DDR3
2) That was only true at the beginning. Actually now DDR2 costs significantly more than DDR3 since the manufacturing has since been switched from mass DDR2 to mass DDR3.
3) Not true, that was only true at the beginning just like it was true for DDR2 vs DDR1. Since they DDR3 latency has come down to the point that it is similar latency and much higher bandwidth.

f-14

Distinguished
i'm with this guy, why the thumbs down? he is dead on right why bother with RIM rambus just like why bother with DDR4 when DDR5 is already here and a finished product on video cards for the last year.
look how long DDR2 lasted, you will be stuck in the same boat with DDR4 because the switch to DDR5 will be a year after.
do you guys really believe DDR4 is going to keep up with quad, septa, octa cpu's, PCIE 3.0 and usb 3.0 at the same time?
i sure don't, but that's due to past experience.
DDR4 is not even out of development and it's already fossilized dinosaur poo.
this is like win 8 just starting to implement touch interface when voice command has been out for almost a decade before siri arrived.
you shouldn't be playing catch up, you should skip over it for the next great thing.
anything less is just milking the consumers for nickle and dimes and is liable to ruin your reputation for being a leader instead of the follower you really are.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
you guys talking abotu ddr5, you are thinking of GDDR5, G! it isnt regular ddr5 it is basicly what ddr4 is designed after, ddr4 is basicly gddr5 but made for desktops, why would they make a ddr4 and then a ddr5 if they can make ddr4 the same as gddr5. how is this confusing?

Status
Not open for further replies.