[SOLVED] DDR4 not working properly in DUAL channel

Dec 29, 2020
So I have had this setup for almost 2 years:

Currently I have a Ryzen 2700x on a X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING (rev 1.0)with 16 RAM 3200 C16 (Patriot Memory Viper RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz (16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3200 MHz, 288-pin DIMM)) and a Gigabyte 2080ti.

Since new Motherboard update supports new Ryzen 5000 I decided to buy a 5600x and a couple of DDR4 8 Gb 3600 C14 (G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB).

Ram arrived first so I decided to test it.

First thing I noticed is for some reason my actual RAM was in Single channel, so I decided to put new one in DUAL channel. I got like 2 fast reboots and then PC starts but in CPU-Z I got Freq 1066 and 15:15:15 which is not my DDR specs. I tried to go bios select XMP and save, same result 2 fast reboots same in CPU-Z. Tried different positions, same result.

So I put them in Single Channel, everything's fine. Freq 1799 14:15:15

Since I still have my old DDR 3200 I decided to test them in the same way.

Single Channel: Freq 1598 16:18:18, all good.
Dual Chnnel: Windows starts but after some seconds I get a blue screen giving random errors about memory acces.

So at this point I'm a bit lost, my best guess is my Mobo is faulty and can't handle DUAL channel properly, but not really sure.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Solution
Try updating your motherboard BIOS to the most recent version before swapping CPUs.

Your current CPU is certainly capable of handling the memory, unless it is damaged (bent/missing pins).

Are you manually configuring memory settings, or using a XMP setting? If you set memory speed to AUTO, is the memory recognized as dual channel?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Dec 29, 2020
Yeah, both sticks are exactly the same provider and I checked the mobo manual to slot them exactly where they're supposed to be. When I do changed I use 2x8 3200 or 2x8 3600, never mixing them.

Another user pointed me out that maybe the problem is with my CPU, that can handle this ram in dual channel.

So I'll give it a try with the new CPU when arrives to see if works properly.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try updating your motherboard BIOS to the most recent version before swapping CPUs.

Your current CPU is certainly capable of handling the memory, unless it is damaged (bent/missing pins).

Are you manually configuring memory settings, or using a XMP setting? If you set memory speed to AUTO, is the memory recognized as dual channel?

Solution
Dec 29, 2020
Hey, my mobo was already at the latest bios.

Mounting new CPU solved my problem, I could stick ram on Dual channel and everythhing is working like a charm.

2700X couldn't handle dual channel even for 3200, 5600X can handle even 3600 on dual channel.