Question DDR4 RAM Help: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk + Ryzen 2700X

Nov 22, 2020
Hi: I was wondering if I could get some assistance on a newbuild I just completed using: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk + Ryzen 2700X.
I was hoping to reuse 2 sticks of Ram from my previous (intel based) PC: G Skill F4-2666C15D-16GVR PC4-21300 8Gx2 CL15-15-15-35 1.20v
I started the installation with 1 stick of Ram in A2 and booted into BIOS. The Ram was detected, ran at base speed of 2133. I was able to select AXMP profile for 2666mhz.
Rebooted and into BIOS again. Ram was functioning at 2666.
Now thats the good news. Here comes the problem. I inserted the second stick into B2. Booted up the PC and I hear 3 beeps from the buzzer. After cycling twice, it booted into BIOS.
Three things I noticed here:
  1. Ram was now running at 2133 mhz again.
  2. Two 8GB ram was detected in A2,B2 (I'm hoping this indicates that my DIMM slots are fine)
  3. Here's the part I don't understand. The total Ram capacity in the system shows up at 8gb. This is the part that I cant understand.
I've tried swapping the modules around. Nothing seems to work. I'd like to point out that the ram is not found on both MSI and AMD QVL list.
Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Hi: I was wondering if I could get some assistance on a newbuild I just completed using: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk + Ryzen 2700X.
I was hoping to reuse 2 sticks of Ram from my previous (intel based) PC: G Skill F4-2666C15D-16GVR PC4-21300 8Gx2 CL15-15-15-35 1.20v
I started the installation with 1 stick of Ram in A2 and booted into BIOS. The Ram was detected, ran at base speed of 2133. I was able to select AXMP profile for 2666mhz.
Rebooted and into BIOS again. Ram was functioning at 2666.
Now thats the good news. Here comes the problem. I inserted the second stick into B2. Booted up the PC and I hear 3 beeps from the buzzer. After cycling twice, it booted into BIOS.
Three things I noticed here:
  1. Ram was now running at 2133 mhz again.
  2. Two 8GB ram was detected in A2,B2 (I'm hoping this indicates that my DIMM slots are fine)
  3. Here's the part I don't understand. The total Ram capacity in the system shows up at 8gb. This is the part that I cant understand.
I've tried swapping the modules around. Nothing seems to work. I'd like to point out that the ram is not found on both MSI and AMD QVL list.
Any help and advice is much appreciated.
Your problem could be due to the fact that your RAM is not on the Asus QVL for your motherboard
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#support-mem-14
nor is your motherboard on the GSkill QVL for this RAM
https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/184/1536040024/F4-2666C15D-16GVR-Qvl

I would suggest returning this RAM, and take one present in your motherboard's QVL.
Series 2xxx Ryzen can be very sensitive to even small differences in timings, voltages etc...

EDIT: I see that your RAm is not new. Nevertheless the probable cause of the problem remains

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020
Thank you for everyone who replied and tried to assist me. I took the CPU and motherboard back to the distributor. They ran some tests. Motherboard was fine. My CPU had some bent pins that affected the memory controller. After some skillful work with a pen-knife, the technician was able to help me get everything sorted out.

Reactions: DMAN999