DDR5 and GDDR5 are the same. I have 4 x 8GB of GDDR5 RAM in my Asus G751JY Gaming lapop with G-SYNC.

Mitchell_9

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I am a college student now in Bachelors program in computer information science/computer programming. There has been a lot of questions going around about RAM memory. Manley DDR5 and GDDR5. I have read questions for example if they are any good? The first thing I would like to say is DDR5 and GDDR5 are the same thing. As of January 15, 2015, Samsung Electronics announced in a press release that it had begun mass production of "8 Gb" (8 * 10243 bit) GDDR5 memory chips based on a 20 nm fabrication process. To meet the demand of higher resolution displays (such as 4K) becoming more mainstream, higher density chips are required in order to facilitate larger frame buffers for graphically intensive computation, namely PC gaming and other 3D rendering. Increased bandwidth of the new high-density modules equates to 8 Gbit/s per pin x 170 pins on the BGA package x 32-bits per I/O cycle, or 256 Gbit/s effective bandwidth per chip. On January 6, 2015, Micron Technology President Mark Adams announced the successful sampling of 8 Gb GDDR5 on the company's fiscal Q1-2015 earnings call. The company then announced, on January 25th, 2015, that it had begun commercial shipments of GDDR5 using a 20 nm process technology. The formal announcement of Micron's 8 Gb GDDR5 appeared in the form of a blog post by Kristopher Kido on the company's website September 1, 2015. I happen to have 4 x 8GB GDDR5 of RAM in my Asus G751JY gaming laptop that is made by Samsung. The PS4 has a GDDR5 8GB x 4 made by AMD.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Seems you publicly answer a question you yourself had? Anyway pretty sure you don't have 32 gb gddr5 ram in your laptop its either ddr3 or ddr4 (depending on processor) to my knowledge the only "mainstream" uses of ddr5 are video cards and current gen consoles