Question DDR5 being dual channel?!

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I’ve known that DDR5 was dual channel, but I was wondering if you could use a single stick of DDR5 and be fine in gaming performance. I know you shouldn’t, but I’m just wondering what would happen if you did.

Lutfij

Titan
You've answered your own question, you'll be fine but you're leaving performance on the table.

What platform are you dealing with? Pleas don't say specs in my sig(we ask users to pass on their specs in the thread's body) as sig space specs can and will change over time rendering this thread and any possible suggestions moot to the person in the same boat as you're in now.

FYI, Ryzen platforms love high frequency, dual channel setups to get the best out of that platform.

Reactions: Order 66

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It actually works fairly well with current games. DDR5 is 2x32bit per stick while DDR4 and earlier is 1x64bit per stick. Since the effective speed is so much higher and it does act as two memory banks per stick.

But that is today. As this level of bandwidth becomes expected by developers over time it will become a problem not to have the full setup. DDR5 typical speeds will also increase.

Reactions: Order 66