[SOLVED] DDR5 RAM upgrade advice ?

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Hi.

I'd like your advice about RAM uograde.
Right now I've got 2x8Gb ddr5 6000MHz.

My PC is for work and gaming. Work doesnt need so much ram, but during gaming I see around 10-14Gb, depends of the game.

So I'm thinking about adding one stick of the 100% same model [same speed, latencies, etc], so it will be 24Gb [dual channel and one single] because 32Gb is way tooo much.
I hear about 3x8Gb that there will be performance drop [fps drop].

What do you think about that?
Leave 2x8Gb or upgrade to 24Gb?

Edit:
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700x
Mobo: Asus ROG B650E-E Gaming Wi-Fi
Ram: 2x8Gb Kingston Fury Argb 6000MHz CL 40

Last edited:
Solution
That's a bad idea. Adding 1 single-channel stick seems rather pointless if you need the RAM for gaming. For one, you are not yet reaching your 16GB limit, therefore you will only introduce the possibility of lower performance by utilizing single-channel. Even if you do move past 16GB usage, it is with single-channel and will produce lower performance than all your RAM being in dual-channel. I would wait until you can replace the 16GB kit with a 32GB kit. Then, either sell or re-purpose the 16BG kit. That's your best bet. A more cost effective option is to add the same kit and hope it performs just as well as a single, larger kit.
That's a bad idea. Adding 1 single-channel stick seems rather pointless if you need the RAM for gaming. For one, you are not yet reaching your 16GB limit, therefore you will only introduce the possibility of lower performance by utilizing single-channel. Even if you do move past 16GB usage, it is with single-channel and will produce lower performance than all your RAM being in dual-channel. I would wait until you can replace the 16GB kit with a 32GB kit. Then, either sell or re-purpose the 16BG kit. That's your best bet. A more cost effective option is to add the same kit and hope it performs just as well as a single, larger kit.

Reactions: vladakv
Solution