Question DDR5 Ram

Dazzauk83

Prominent
May 1, 2021
Hello all.

Been out of the PC world for sometime now. My last PC was AM3 platform.

I have recently come back into the fold, and as I need to do a whole new rebuild I have decided rather then go with AM4 i have gone right to AM5 with a 7900X.

The motherboard this will make its home in is the ASRock X670E Pro RS which supports up to 6600(MT?)+ OC on DDR5 ram.

Now I have done some research on DDR5 ram but there seems a bit more thinking to it then I can remember DDR3 being.

I have a budget of £200-£300 GBP. i understand that 7900x is new so not much DDR5 ram has been tested yet ,but is there some DDR5 that i can't really go wrong with buying? Not fussed on if its got bling or not. But a heat sink shroud obviously.

My main use case is some video editing and gaming (although these days I am lucky to get 2 hours of game time).

Any help would be great or just s general direction on where to look.

Cheers

Lutfij

Titan
The best thing you can do is make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version, then pick a ram kit that is at least featured on the memory QVL list so you're not left in the dark. The QVL is a way of telling the motherboard's audience that the ram kit was tested in the motherboard maker's lab(prior to the board's release). You can, in theory, work with any memory brand on the market, so long as it's DDR5.

Just an added info, I wouldn't max out on the frequency supported by the motherboard, rather play it a little safe with something below 6000MHz.

Prices as of this moment direct from Kingston/Hyper X web site:

2 x 8; 16 total; 4800 CL 38; 74 dollars
2 x 8; 16 total; 5600 CL 40; sold out; was 97 dollars earlier today

2 x 16; 32 total; 4800 CL 38; 145 dollars
2 x 16; 32 total; 5600 CL 40; 154 dollars

All prices BEFORE 10% discount available for direct orders

All have heatsink

https://shop.kingston.com/products/beast-ddr5-desktop-memory?variant=41738493722816

Price at Amazon is considerably higher. Availability at Newegg very sporadic.