[SOLVED] ddrescue help

Mar 31, 2020
I have an external hard drive of 1Tb which stopped working. I'm trying to recover the information using ddrescue but I don't see anything been recovered. I'm doing the copy from the external harddrive to another one, but it has been more than a week and I dont see anything saying that information is been recovering. Should I stop?. THis external harddrive has important information . Any advices?. IN the image it says 3 days but my laptop restarted so I continued the process from a mapfile.

root@dayi:/logRespaldo# ddrescue --force /dev/sdb /dev/sdc1 rescue.logfile
GNU ddrescue 1.22
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from mapfile)
rescued: 0 B, tried: 1000 GB, bad-sector: 12721 MB, bad areas: 2

ipos: 21658 MB, non-trimmed: 0 B, current rate: 0 B/s
opos: 21658 MB, non-scraped: 978546 MB, average rate: 0 B/s
non-tried: 0 B, bad-sector: 21658 MB, error rate: 14848 B/s
rescued: 0 B, bad areas: 2, run time: 3d 21h 9m
pct rescued: 0.00%, read errors: 17456189, remaining time: n/a
time since last successful read: n/a
Scraping failed blocks... (forwards)

Solution
DD isn't able to read anything because everything is showing up as bad sectors.
There is no point in continuing unless you hope that the end of the drive is in better condition.

You really should try and open the external enclosure and connect the drive directly to your mobo to see if the drive is ok, there is the chance that the external controller is fried and the drive is ok.

Having a dying drive (and I'm not saying yours is) connected and working non stop for a long time is the worst idea ever since that could then kill the drive off completely.
If it won't allow you to take a backup at normal speeds you should disconnect it and weigh your options, either send it off to professionals or live with your lost data if you go ahead...
DD isn't able to read anything because everything is showing up as bad sectors.
There is no point in continuing unless you hope that the end of the drive is in better condition.

You really should try and open the external enclosure and connect the drive directly to your mobo to see if the drive is ok, there is the chance that the external controller is fried and the drive is ok.

Having a dying drive (and I'm not saying yours is) connected and working non stop for a long time is the worst idea ever since that could then kill the drive off completely.
If it won't allow you to take a backup at normal speeds you should disconnect it and weigh your options, either send it off to professionals or live with your lost data if you go ahead with stressing the drive yourself.

Reactions: kiduxa
Solution
Mar 31, 2020
So my last hope is give it to professionals in order to try to recover some data. Is OK if I keep the harddrive saved or should I do it right away?