News De-Bloated Windows 11 Build Runs on 2GB of RAM

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
I had been using multiple debloated windows editions, and actually ended up optimizing every windows build image-level before installation, I had been doing that for several years with the aim to maximize performance and have an uninterruptable experience. However, eventually I realized that most of the optimizations applied will eventually screw up with the functionality of the OS, and the worst thing in all those "debloated" windows build is that you'll compromise security for performance, and that is not good at all. Windows Update is very important regardless of how annoying it can get. Simple, just pause updates to run only once every month and enable metered connection.

I realized that it is always better to do some basic and manual optimizations that are risk free, things like deleting useless apps that you won't use, trimming your SSD weekly, enabling storage sense to run every month as well as the automatic maintenance. Turn off UWP background activity and try to spot the apps that eats up your resources.

USAFRet

Titan
The funny thing is that this was a bragging point about Windows 10, that the requirements weren't too different from 7
Which was pretty much true.

I have a very low end 2009 era Toshiba laptop that was my initial test box for Win 10.
Celeron 900 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM.

Reactions: artk2219

USAFRet

Titan
I still have Windows 10 full up running on a Lenovo IdeaStick 300. Little Atom processor, 2GB of memory, and a 32GB eMMC drive. Takes it a good while to update windows, but it gets there.
I have the same on an Asus Transformer.
The only reason it is on the shelf, is because 1/2 the keyboard had died. Not worth the time, or any money, to try to fix it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have less need of mine since both my TVs are smart and one has a dedicated media PC. Been a while since I fired it up actually. I'll let it update this weekend.

A decent Dosbox and old school emulator, that is about the most use I can get out of it these days. Video playback is getting problematic.

USAFRet

Titan
I have less need of mine since both my TVs are smart and one has a dedicated media PC. Been a while since I fired it up actually. I'll let it update this weekend.

A decent Dosbox and old school emulator, that is about the most use I can get out of it these days. Video playback is getting problematic.
I've moved on as well.

The Transformers were replaced by a newer Lenovo and a Surface 3 Go.
HTPC is now a little BeeLink.

While the old underpowered things ran the OS, it was just too painful using them.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Please forgive my ignorance, but I do have a very basic question: for a dedicated DAW pc (digital audio workstation) I am very intrigued by lean windows builds that would just skip all the myriads of services and run only those parts that are necessary for DAW operation.
Hence my question: Would it be possible to install ASIO and MIDI drivers as well as all the other audio applications such as Studio One, VST plug-ins, virtual instruments etc on this tiny Windows?

Since this would be intended to be a dedicated audio pc, it wouldn't need any office or network functionality and it would be kept "as is" and offline for as long as it runs.

Reactions: artk2219 and Krotow

USAFRet

Titan
Please forgive my ignorance, but I do have a very basic question: for a dedicated DAW pc (digital audio workstation) I am very intrigued by lean windows builds that would just skip all the myriads of services and run only those parts that are necessary for DAW operation.
Hence my question: Would it be possible to install ASIO and MIDI drivers as well as all the other audio applications such as Studio One, VST plug-ins, virtual instruments etc on this tiny Windows?

Since this would be intended to be a dedicated audio pc, it wouldn't need any office or network functionality and it would be kept "as is" and offline for as long as it runs.
Start with e regular Win 10 install.
Uninstall what you do not need.
Move on from that.

A minimal hack like this is A) currently unusable, and B) Unknown as to what it actually removes.
It is merely a proof of concept, not an actual usable OS.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Key words:
"it isn’t a serviceable release, "

Booting up is one thing.
Actually using it for more than just looking at the desktop is quite something else.

Agreed. This is akin to running a custom ROM and relying on (A) The developer to update, hope they even update for that matter (B) Manually check for said update and apply it manually.

While I can appreciate the amount of work that went into this, it's more of a hobbyist or tinkerer build than a daily driver.

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
Don't know what you all are talking about. Windows 10 Pro runs smoothly on my system...no debloating needed.

I tested Windows 11 and it also ran smoothly. I chucked it because it's a piece of crap OS.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Start with e regular Win 10 install.
Uninstall what you do not need.
Move on from that.

A minimal hack like this is A) currently unusable, and B) Unknown as to what it actually removes.
It is merely a proof of concept, not an actual usable OS.

Many thanks, that was very helpful!

bloodroses

Distinguished
I can see this being useful for something like a kiosk or for strictly running emulators + frontend (like launchbox); both not needing online access and kind of a set and forget setup. Outside that, you're better off doing what others have said and install and remove features afterwards for fear of security risks or things breaking otherwise. I definitely wouldn't suggest it for a day to day machine.

Last edited:

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Does MS make an "embedded" version of Win10 or Win11 that hobbyists can get their hands on? Any idea as to how big it is?

I was introduced to the embedded version of Win7 a decade ago when I worked for a company that made rack mounted test equipment. Inside each box was a mini ITX motherboard running a cut down version of Win7 that I learned was a special "embedded" version. MS sold it to OEMs like mine for the use in products like my company built.

All the basic features of Windows was there. Graphic drivers, networking, remote desktop. All the features one would want for applications debugging. Would be great if hobbyists could get their hands on embedded versions for making dedicated Windows boxes.

D

Deleted member 14196

I recently did a clean install of windows 11 because I wasn’t satisfied with the upgrade. Out of the box my system only uses four gigs and that’s with everything I use loaded so de bloating isn’t even required.