De-Lidding and Overclocking Core i7-7700K with Water and LN2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

That depends on the kind of adhesive you use. Crazy Glue and equivalents flow almost like water if not even easier as many solvents do. Even caulk doesn't need much pressure to squeeze out of a joint and there aren't many glues thicker than that unless you let them partially cure first. As long as you apply sufficient pressure until the glue cures so the excess doesn't get sucked back into the joint, you can make just about any glue into a thin layer.

Edit: there are also adhesive like Gorilla Glue which foam up a bit while curing, those may be more difficult to get a really thin layer with. I doubt it would be recommended for a 80-100C application though.

haha that was my thinking when I delidded Skylake i3. It. ended up being easy enough though with razor, and overall a worthwhile effort considering the drastic temperature reduction at high overclocks.

Also, I did not reseal the IHS, I left it "floating", but of course my motherboard is horizontal on my test bench so I did not expect any issues anyway. I bet people with cracked dies were likely using vertically oriented motherboards, which seems stupid.

dotScience

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
"After tens of liters of liquid nitrogen, a bottle of gas, and more than 10 hours of chilling to test the BIOS, processor, RAM, and operating system, we finally stumbled on a solution: the “PLL SFR” setting must also be increased to more than 1.1V instead of 0.9V to unlock the higher multiplier."

I just hope these hackers are soon confined to a secure location.

LalitMUFC

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Hello guys,

I just built my first pc :)
The build is as follows:
Intel i7-7700k @ 1.27V OC 4750MHz and Cryorig H5 cooler.
MSI Z270 SLI Plus
16GB G.Skill Trident Z OC 3300 @ 1.28V
GPU: Still waiting

With this setting I'm getting
76C for Cinebench R15
79C for AIDA64 Extreme.

Are these temperatures too high?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

What temperatures under Prime95? As long as it doesn't reach the 100 °C threshhold you're fine. The only program I know of that accurately shows the 100 °C threshhold is Realtemp.

LalitMUFC

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Hi Crashman,

I am not sure how to reply back to your comment. I could not find the reply button anywhere.

In any case, I could not get the CPU to stabilize for Prime95 even at 1.35V. I did not try beyond 1.35V. AIDA64 Extreme was stable without any throttling at 1.27V.

Coming back to the question of the temperatures during AIDA64, are my temperatures higher than average for the given OC and cooler combo? I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler. I also tried re-applying. The temperatures were the same within the margin of error.

Should I try other thermal paste? BTW my room temperature is 25C and idle CPU temperatures are around 37-40C. Putting the CPU fan at full speed doesn't seem to lower the idle temperatures.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
At the top of the comments section, there's a link that says "Comment From the Forums".

Click that, and it takes you to an ad-free layout that's much better for commenting.

Without knowing anything about Cryorig or that specific cooler, I'll say that you can nearly always do better than the compound included with the cooler.

Here's an old article comparing many different compounds:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616.html

Most of these are still available, but some new ones have been introduced. You can find similar articles on other sites, that are more recent. Hopefully, Tom's will update this sometime in the near future. As fun as LN2 overclocking is, I think thermal compound comparisons are much more relevant to the average reader.

LalitMUFC

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

Thanks for the link on the different compounds. I will take a look.

LalitMUFC

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

Hi Crashman,

I could not get the CPU to stabilize for Prime95 even at 1.35V. I did not try beyond 1.35V. AIDA64 Extreme was stable without any throttling at 1.27V.

Coming back to the question of the temperatures during AIDA64, are my temperatures higher than average for the given OC and cooler combo? I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler. I also tried re-applying. The temperatures were the same within the margin of error.

Should I try other thermal paste? BTW my room temperature is 25C and idle CPU temperatures are around 37-40C. Putting the CPU fan at full speed doesn't seem to lower the idle temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.