Question Dead HP Pavilion BSOD on clean install

Jun 17, 2019
Product: HP Pavilion Dv6-3157eg Entertainment Notebook PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7
Hello, good people ! This is the original help-me message that I initially posted on the HP support forums, which they marked as SPAM and then deleted !
I have come to my wit's end, hope you can give me a helping hand. I own an old HP Pavilion dv6-3157eg Entertainment Notebook laptop, it's from 2010. It was barely open and operated, then it got seized in 2011 and remained in unknown-conditions storage until 2015. When it got back to my possession, it wouldn't start: showed a black screen with "No Boot, insert boot disk press any key". Took it to service and they said the laptop didn't have an OS. I know for sure that it DID have an original, with licence Windows prior to being seized. Since I needed to use this laptop, I tried a recovery via the 5 Recovery DVDs. It got stuck with a screen that said "Insert dvd 3 and continue..." I then performed all the quick and extensive tests, with no HDD or memory problems found. I did a HDD reseat, guided by the HP support video. Nothing helped booting. I created a USB Windows recovery and changed the boot order in BIOS. Nothing worked. I tried a clean Windows re-install via USB disk. Upon start, it shows Loading windows files. then the Windows logo, then the horrible Blue Screen of Death shows up, as in the attached picture. No memory dump ever showed up on that screen. I am basically stuck and nobody seems to know the problem. Basically, a useless, never-used HP. It's hard not to mention that I NEVER had any such issues with a Sony or ANY other manufacturer, for that matter.... And I've seen many other HP complaints. Please, can anyone tell me if I should have any hope with this ? TIA !

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
it was seized by police for 4 years ? damn

go to bios and set sata controller / sata controller mode to ACHI, if it was on IDE this might happen. Then do clean install with your DVD, remember to format whole drive before doing it. Also try press F9 in bios for default settings then save with F10.

It also might be the sata cable which connects motherboard to the HDD, or the HDD itself.

Reactions: VonBee
Jun 17, 2019
fagetti, thank you for replying !
I don't have an Advance tab in BIOS and there's nowhere any SATA mode ! :|
Trying to boot in Safe mode/ Last good known config also crashes with the BSOD. Do you think it might be a hardware problem and not a soft one ?
P.S. Yeah, the Romanian police seized it for 4 years, which is actually against the official code of criminal procedure but that's totally irrelevant. Thinking about suing on this.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
when you sue the police you will just lose your money ey its no use. So you can finish the windows install but after it restarted after installing when you try to boot into OS this happens? open backplate and check that ram is same as you had before seizing. maybe they change ram to another stick. I would just change HDD and try with another , you can get cheap hdd for few euros used, and try another hdd cable aswell. First try default settings for bios with F9 then save with F10.