Dead PC. Mobo or PSU?

Jq_raptor459

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Bleh. So, computer decided to die this evening. I'll relay the symptoms leading up to it so you all can make better judgement of what the cause is.

First, specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dY2ZP6

Actually have the original parts picker guide saved from when I was first putting her together. OS is windows 7, latest critical updates as of 2 weeks or so ago.

Okay, meat of the story time. I playing a steam game when it crashed. Confused, I restarted the computer for good measure, I've been having issues of late with Steams Webbrowserhelper.exe crashing at random intervals.

Restart computer goes fine, but my second harddrive is not showing up. My comp uses 2 harddrives with an external I plug in when I do backups. Drive C:/ has Windows, most of the essential programs needed for windows to function.

The second drive, Q:/ , is where I store my media, games, Steam, etc; the stuff I don't want to lose should I be forced to wipe C:/ to get windows working after a catastrophic failure.

I figure the failing to recognize Q:/ may be the cause of why my steam games keep crashing. Obviously if the harddrive that the program is running from disappears, that leads to problems.

Shut down, reseat Sata cables, boot up.

It goes past the Bios screen to windows logo, where it gets stuck in a loop, endless loading screen.

Confuzzled more, shut down, reseat seta cables and power cables to harddrives (both) and restart again.

Windows boots normally, Q drive shows up...for a while. About 10 minutes in it once again disappears from the menus.

I shut down once more and pull the Q;/ sata cable and replace it with a new one from storage.

Turn on power...nothing. No power whatsoever. Fans do not turn, PSU does not make a noise, LED's fail to light up.

Double check that, Yes, the PSU's power switch is on. I pull the power cord to PSU and test on another computer, boots fine, so cable isn't dead.

It's 1130PM so I can't really dig around for my multimeter, but I intend to try that tomorrow to determine if the PSU is getting power.

Based on the above however, I'm using my lifesaver for an audience poll: What seems most likely for the problem? Mobo? PSU? Something else?

Quick edit: Flipping the power switch on the PSU itself is returning power to the speakers plugged in the speaker jack, making them click when power is restored. So there IS at least power going to there...

Solution
You are using a great 'tractor' PSU in a 'race car' computer, so that's where I would look first. Of all the parts in your system, the PSU is the 'weakest link'.

There are obviously other possibilities, but I would borrow a spare PSU from a friend, and see what you can do.
You are using a great 'tractor' PSU in a 'race car' computer, so that's where I would look first. Of all the parts in your system, the PSU is the 'weakest link'.

There are obviously other possibilities, but I would borrow a spare PSU from a friend, and see what you can do.

Solution