[SOLVED] Dead PC troubleshooting tips please

Mar 27, 2019
My pc died. No fans, no lights etc.

I did the most obvious checks:

PSU puts out the 5v standby rail.
After disconnecting 24-pin plug from motherboard could start up by shorting green power on lead to black. (Paperclip trick).
Power switch from case does work -- checked with multimeter.

I bought a second hand motherboard of similar type and swapped out, but got same behaviour.

This is an old machine Gigabyte x58a motherboard, but PSU and some other components are newer.

Does someone with more experience, have an idea what are the most likely remaining causes?

Solution
If you get 0 life out of your PC, most likely it's PSU issue. So, test with spare, known to work PSU and look if you can power on your PC.

Also, just because you can jumpstart PSU doesn't mean your PSU is good. Jumpstarting PSU only turns PSU on but it doesn't put any load on the PSU. Here, PSU needs to output certain load for your PC to start. If your PSU fails to do that, PC won't power on.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you get 0 life out of your PC, most likely it's PSU issue. So, test with spare, known to work PSU and look if you can power on your PC.

Also, just because you can jumpstart PSU doesn't mean your PSU is good. Jumpstarting PSU only turns PSU on but it doesn't put any load on the PSU. Here, PSU needs to output certain load for your PC to start. If your PSU fails to do that, PC won't power on.

Reactions: grumpy_old_java_dev
Solution
Mar 27, 2019

Thanks, this clearly set out suggestion. I was coming to a similar conclusion and I have ordered a PSU. I will update when it arrives, and I find out if it fixes the problem.