Question Dead Pc?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 18, 2020
Hi About a day ago I turned off my pc, and right after hopped back on to help my friend but it wouldn’t turn on. I though I narrowed down the problem to be my motherboard, but I just got a new motherboard and plugged everything in and it seems to still not work. I tested my psu by using a paper clip and seeing if the fan spins, which it did. So if it’s not the psu and I just got a new motherboard what could the problem be?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
AM4 motherboards lack an integrated video controller. Unless you installed a Ryzen model with a "G" at the end of it, you absolutely must have a GPU installed for the system to boot.

With all of the swapping on components, make sure that your memory is fully, firmly inserted into the memory slots. Also, verify that both the 24-pin and 4 or 8-pin power connectors from the PSU to the motherboard are fully attached and locked into the sockets.

deadpoolxxxxx

Prominent
May 14, 2019
AM4 motherboards lack an integrated video controller. Unless you installed a Ryzen model with a "G" at the end of it, you absolutely must have a GPU installed for the system to boot.

With all of the swapping on components, make sure that your memory is fully, firmly inserted into the memory slots. Also, verify that both the 24-pin and 4 or 8-pin power connectors from the PSU to the motherboard are fully attached and locked into the sockets.
Self-testing and powering on of the mobo can be done without the gpu.

Oct 18, 2020
Self-testing and powering on of the mobo can be done without the gpu.
Iv tried putting in the new psu and didn’t work, At this point I’m just going to go to she shop and get ripped off. Idk what’s wrong with it and I’ve deposited so much time and money into fixing it. I’m a YouTuber and a Junior in high school can’t deal with this anymore.

deadpoolxxxxx

Prominent
May 14, 2019
Iv tried putting in the new psu and didn’t work, At this point I’m just going to go to she shop and get ripped off. Idk what’s wrong with it and I’ve deposited so much time and money into fixing it. I’m a YouTuber and a Junior in high school can’t deal with this anymore.
Then the bloody motherboard is dead-seems to be the only reason left; i can't think of anything else being wrong at this moment.

deadpoolxxxxx

Prominent
May 14, 2019
I got a new motherboard yesterday and tried it out and it still wouldn’t power on, but I did leave the motherboard with cpu and ram in out in the window so maybe the sun messed it up?
Not possible very very very rare case that too in old pcs i don't think a mere sunlight can damage a motherboard...go to the shop and exchange it or return it---most likely manufacturing defect. Go to the store and return it asap.

Oct 18, 2020
Your doing fine and believe me EVERYONE here has encountered these problems and hard as the learning curve maybe when you do get it sorted you will feel pretty good having mastered the issue. Deep breath, one step at atime and you will get the problem sorted...
Thanks for the advice was really getting mad earlier and took a break actually made me feel much better. 😁

It would tell me that the PSU is not capable of delvering enough power to run the board, a light on for 0.1 sec is hardly more than static but if the capacitators for example on the 12v or 5v rail are shot it cannot deliver power and is a hazard for other components.

Oct 18, 2020
It would tell me that the PSU is not capable of delvering enough power to run the board, a light on for 0.1 sec is hardly more than static but if the capacitators for example on the 12v or 5v rail are shot it cannot deliver power and is a hazard for other components.
I just got this PSU and my old PSU did the same thing though.