dead screen issue

tonicx3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
my display screen is dead. I get nothing. I hooked up to an external monitor and reinstalled win 7, still nothing. is there a driver for the display? could it be a bad mother board? or graphics card? I have not done any changes in hardware, but did try to reset by unhooking dc power and taking out battery. still nothing. Should I try win 10?

Solution
Reinstalling another operating system isn't going to do anything. When it comes to no display, its either cable, monitor, gpu, cpu,ram, or motherboard. I guess sometimes it could be psu, but the first 2 things I check when I see this issue is gpu and monitor.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Reinstalling another operating system isn't going to do anything. When it comes to no display, its either cable, monitor, gpu, cpu,ram, or motherboard. I guess sometimes it could be psu, but the first 2 things I check when I see this issue is gpu and monitor.

Solution

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
If you are using a laptop, its either the screen itself, motherboard, or the cable that connects the screen to the motherboard. Given that it works on an external monitor it is unlikely to be the graphics card. To test the gpu, i would plug in the external monitor and test at for unstable operation on all the monitor's resolution.