Dead Sony DVD Writer - Which to replace it with?

My Sony single layer DVD writer has died, no longer recognises or
plays DVD's. Looking to replace it. Reading this NG I find positive
comments about the

NEC 3500
LG GSA4163

and maybe some others.

I burn a lot of DVD's re home movies, so it can get quite stressed.
Reliability and longevity are pretty important, probably less so that
speed.

Any thoughts please on the best to go for? One of the above? Which? Or
another?

--
Bryan Bellis.
Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will

http://www.pcdr.co.uk/taxmaster

To email me, go to this web page link:
http://www.pcdr.co.uk/spam/antispam.html

Bryan Bellis wrote:

> My Sony single layer DVD writer has died, no longer recognises or
> plays DVD's. Looking to replace it. Reading this NG I find positive
> comments about the
>
> NEC 3500
> LG GSA4163

I have the previous version to the NEC, thew NEC 2500 and it has never
burned a coaster despite being used very heavily, it's a good drive and in
terms of disks burnt has outlasted the Pioneer it replaced.

I can't speak about the software that comes bundled with the drive as I have
only used mine on Linux.

However I would say that if quality and reliability are your greatest
concerns then I would check out Plextor.

I have 2 LG DVD burners, and a friend has one the same, all have not
given any misery about 6 months old so far and have burned a lot of
disks with em.

For $87 AUD with software etc, they work fine.

alex

Wayne Stallwood wrote:

> I have the previous version to the NEC, thew NEC 2500 and it has never
> burned a coaster despite being used very heavily, it's a good drive and in
> terms of disks burnt has outlasted the Pioneer it replaced.

I'm with you on that,
I have 3 generations of the NEC in different machines - the 1300, 2500
and 3520 (maybe UK model of the 3500?). The 1300 still works fine
despite being a couple years old I think, the 3520 is really good, very
fast. Unfortunately the 2500 is finding it very difficult to read discs,
especially DVD-RW's made by the 3520. Not sure where the fault lies,
maybe a dirty lens, or maybe the 3520 uses a weaker laser to burn the
discs and the 2500 isn't sensitive enough to read them? Maybe it's just
old age... it has burned many a disc...