Question Dead SSD (Kingston A400)

Jan 12, 2021
This is just a personal report.

Yesterday I was using my computer normally (not doing anything compatutacionally stressful, in fact I was testing a small PHP code in WAMP) when suddenly and literally out of the blue Windows 10 froze. I then poke the reset button and to computer but instead to boot Windows it entered directly into the BIOS. I tried it again a couple times and same thing. Then I entered SATA setup to check if disks were being recognized and indeed all of them were there: my SSD and my two HDDs. However as the computer refused to load Windows I imagined that something could went wrong with the boot sector or so, then I opened the computer, removed the SSD and replaced it with another SSD (a 128GB V300). The boot worked instantly. Till then I thought that it was only Windows then I slided the A400 into a USB caddy to recover some of data I was interested in before to reformat it and then my surprise: disk unreadable. In fact invisible to the system.

So this is the deal: BIOS recognizes it but not Windows. The error message is "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error ".

I already gave it as definitively lost but it was really scary the sudden way as it happened. No previous fails, no warnings, no decreasing performance, no data loss, no nothing. It just died. Another thing that I stranged is that I have three other Kingston SSDs (all V300s) being one of them in use for over 7 years. This one was the newest of them with just one and a half year of use.

I am shocked.

USAFRet

Titan
Sometimes they die.
Sometimes, quite suddenly.

I had a 960GB Sandisk SSD do similar.
Working perfectly...
Power off the PC.
10 minutes later, power up.
'hey, where's the G drive?'
Completely gone.

Windows, Linux, external dock, different cables...gone gone gone.

Reactions: yankleber