[SOLVED] Dead with USB 3.0!

Jan 3, 2019
Hi! Bit of an odd one (I think!). I bought a Phanteks Pro M case before Christmas, and moved my system into it yesterday. My old case didn't have a USB 3.0 header, but this one does, however when I plug it into my Gigabyte GA Z170X Ultra Gaming mobo, the system won't boot - totally dead, no lights or power anywhere - unplug it, and all is fine. Any ideas as to what might be causing this, and how I might get around it? Thanks in advance...

Solution

Check the wire leading from where you plugin to the header, all the way to the front panel. If it's damaged that could be causing some sort of short, or issue.

Also make sure that the USB 3.0 ports in your front panel are not damaged such as being bent, or something lodged in it causing a short.

Lutfij

Titan
You may be suffering from a grounding issue. You could breadboard the system and connect the front panel USB3.0 connector and see if the system refuses to boot up. If it refuses you can contact seller/reseller for an RMA or request a replacement front panel module since that is what might be culprit provided you don't have other wires causing a grounding issue.

Jan 3, 2019
Hi, thanks guys, but have already checked for bent pins - all OK. Lutfij, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'breadboard' - can you explain further, please?

Jan 3, 2019
Ah, though that might be it - tried that - made no difference - also tried a different PSU, unplugging peripherals, GPU and prayer! I'm thinking I've got a faulty mobo or case, but haven't got another USB 3 header to try out...it's frustrating me!

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016

Check the wire leading from where you plugin to the header, all the way to the front panel. If it's damaged that could be causing some sort of short, or issue.

Also make sure that the USB 3.0 ports in your front panel are not damaged such as being bent, or something lodged in it causing a short.

Solution
You could try another USB 3.0 front panel (if there is a grounding/short issue with USB 3.0 ports on your case).

sku_361851_1.jpg