Death of Windows 7 OEM Sales Posted in Error

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
why si every one thumbing down Ta152h ?

he makes a valid point people only love win7 because it was sand wiched between two OS's that every one hated. it does hog up resources unfairly (i wouldn't call it bloated though). win XP easily beats it in every possible measure . it used far less resources and was generally coded better in its day compared to win7 now. only reason why win 7 isn't going to see as many udpates as win xp did is because it hasn't been around as long as xp had. corect me if i'm wrong but didn't xp launch in 2002 ? its been the most proliferic MS OS ever. Ms did not even move to replace it til it had been on the market for 4 years. that says alot for the OS. further more keep in mind win7 is built on the same kernel as the uber crappy vista. win 8 is a different kernel. if they just pushed a version of win 8 as win 9 and took out metro and re added the old start menu mos you guys would be praising it. There isn't one other thing about win 8 that you can cite as being bad .. just keep beating a dead horse over the metro UI which you don't ever even have to see when you are working on adesktop.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Every time I W8 is acceptable, a new problem appears. I was helping a friend set up a new W8 laptop. Microsoft account required to upgrade W8.1, download Kindle for PC, other free apps.
Friend gives me her iPhone email address and have MICROSOFT SEND "SECURITY CODE" there. uh-oh.
Need a Microsoft Store app to use iPhone email. Now microft keeps asking for code not accessible
Also on old HP CQ60 Laptop, updated to W8. No sound drivers. Updated to W8.1, lost work around external "sound card" drivers and DVD drivers.
Vista looks better and better.
To date "updating" from older hardware seems a crap shoot. Why "tout" W8 as a replacement for XP if you do not support old hardware? Or offer work arounds (free downgrade to 7 ?
Second, Microsoft store requirement and config pains ludicrous.
Need to stock up on W7.

Status
Not open for further replies.