Question Debug Light Sequence

Dec 9, 2022
Hey everyone, I usually troubleshoot/research on my own to resolve my issues, commonly through this website but after hours of trying I can't figure this one out, so I'm pretty desperate and reaching out for any help.

I recently decided to switch motherboards to allow for better overclocking and was planning on returning my other motherboard but ran into some issues on the way. This is the timeline of what happened after switching to the new motherboard:

1. The issue occurred the first 2 times I tried booting up after finishing the build but then booted up properly on the 3rd attempt
  2. I turned XMP on
  3. Ran completely fine for 5 boots
  4. I turned ERP on (so I wouldn't have my USB devices on when I was sleeping)
  5. The issue occurred constantly after boot attempt
  6. Managed to reset BIOS
  7. It booted up properly on the 1st attempt
  8. I turned XMP on
  9. The issue occurred constantly after boot attempt
The Issue:
The debug would start on CPU (orange LED) and sometimes DRAM (orange LED) and alternate between the 2 every 2 seconds before switching to VGA (orange LED) and shutting off and automatically restarting.

Important to note that my old build had 0 issues. Has been running completely fine for over a week and after switching back to it today, it's been running fine other than some expected driver issues.

Bold text signifies the differences in the builds

Old build:
Intel 13900K (8 + 4 pin PSU connection)
GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM
VENGEANCE 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 DRAM 5600
Corsair HX1200
Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB M.2
Seagate IronWolf 4TB
Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB SATA
(Used 2 SATA cables, 1 for each drive)
Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler
2x Noctua NF-A14 3000RPM 4 pin Case Fans
1x Noctua NF-F12 3000RPM 4 pin Case Fan
Fractal Design Pop Silent Case
Asus Prime Z790-P

New build:
Intel 13900K (8 + 8 pin PSU connection)
GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM
VENGEANCE 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 DRAM 5600
Corsair HX1200
Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB M.2
Seagate IronWolf 4TB
Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB SATA
(Used 1 SATA cable, 1 for both drives)
Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler
2x Noctua NF-A14 3000RPM 4 pin Case Fans (Plugged into Pump Fan header)
1x Noctua NF-F12 3000RPM 4 pin Case Fan
2x Fractal Design Pop Silent 3 pin Case Fans (Plugged into 4 pin and on PWM mode)
2x Corsair 5000D Airflow 4 pin Case Fans
Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master (rev. 1.0)

Note: All fans were set to run between 1000 - 1200 RPM unless really high temperatures but the Fractal Design Pop Silent Case Fans on the new build were running at maximum speed with no room to adjust.

I might be misremembering but it also was probably due to the Gigabyte Control Panel which I soon uninstalled but my computer felt slower with the new build.

The only thing that I suspect is that there's not enough power being supplied, the CMOS is dead or the DRAM slots on the new motherboard are broken?

Thank you for reading my post. Appreciate any help at this point.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You need to reinstall your OS in spite of being within the same chipset. To also add, what BIOS version are you on for your new motherboard?
Thank you! And thank you for reading through my post and responding.

Is having Windows 10 already installed the issue? When I could initially boot up, Windows 10 was working completely fine but it was telling me that I needed to activate it to customize my settings. I put through a ticket to have it transferred but I'm having second thoughts at this point. It's so stressful switching my motherboard not knowing if everything will work and I'm thinking about just returning the motherboard.

Two things that I liked about this motherboard was the fact that it had a a lot of fan headers but I guess I could use a repeater like Corsair Commander or any that you might recommend. Also, what is the practical difference between having a 4 + 8 pin for the CPU versus the 8 + 8 pin?