Question Decent laptop for Light Gaming?

twodoctors

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
So I found a i7 12700H Laptop with decent specs for £800. Nearly went for it, but did a bit more "research" and found out that the Ryzen 7 with 680M IGP would be a much better choice... if I can find one! Most of the ones I've seen out there comes with a discrete GPU. I don't want a gaming laptop as I need it to be portable (1.5kg or less) and USB-C chargeable (which gaming laptops are not as the GPU draws too much power as I understand).

Then I thought if the 12700H won't give me any better graphics performance over a 1260P or a 12th series i5 etc, should I even splash the cash on one of those? Should I just save the dosh and get something cheaper?

Advice and opinion welcomed.

Adrian

1. What is your budget?
~£800

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
~14"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Full HD or higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable please

5. How much battery life do you need?
As much as possible!

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Very light gaming. This is predominantly for work. I do play Football manager, but occasionally some FPS (Far Cry) or RPG (Elder Scroll) type of stuff.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mostly work to be honest!

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not too fussed

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Not really.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4-5 years probably

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Really?! :-D

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Anything decent

13. What country do you live in?
UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
See above

Lutfij

Titan
Reading this;
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...and-Final-Fantasy-XV-at-1080p30.697472.0.html
I doubt you're going to find the combo you're looking for, for less than 1,500UKpounds.

Your points are actually contradictory;
Very light gaming. This is predominantly for work. I do play Football manager, but occasionally some FPS (Far Cry) or RPG (Elder Scroll) type of stuff.
The ones I've bolded aren't exactly light titles, taxing desktop grade parts as well, the latter with mods do demand more from your system.

This is predominantly for work.
Mostly work to be honest!

Which is? Giving us a list of app's would help us two fold, without an etc at the end of it.

You might want to also share links to the ones you've narrowed down, perhaps their offers/prices are actually a better fit for your needs.

Reactions: twodoctors

twodoctors

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks.

I am thinking this one...

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/l...el-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-dark-teal-10240515.html

The games I might play, I appreciate they are proper games needing discrete GPU. Looking at reviews on IGP, the 680M seems to be able to deliver 1080 on low settings. The 660M and Iris XE seemed to be about the same. I have a desktop for proper gaming, and I rarely game when travel (and I rarely travel anyway).

The only Ryzen 6800U cost £1000, which is gaming laptop money. Don't see a point.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Ps work is mostly MS Words and PowerPoint. Nothing fancy.