[SOLVED] Deciding whether to buy AIO or Air Cooler ?

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
I've had my eye on the Arctic Freezer 34 DUO for awhile now but i can only avail it via amazon for around 65 USD (shipping included)

But then i saw an AIO here in my country that is on sale for around 55 USD, the AIO is named Tecware Mirage 240mm.

Now i'm wondering if Arctic is still worth it for the price if i can avail the AIO for much lesser price. I looked up the AIO and it had decent reviews as well. Help me decide please

Solution
That case will support practically any air cooler you want to install as far as height clearance is concerned, so that part isn't an issue.

Truthfully, I don't know that AIO brand, nor do I trust AIO brands I don't know because even in non-Western countries the most reliable brands and models are still the same ones found in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and EU. Certainly there ARE some other brands out there which are not popular in those countries, but in most cases we've at least heard of them and having been doing this helping people from other countries for about six years, nearly every day now, I've never heard of or run into the Tecware AIO products.

And, more than for just about any other kind of hardware, when it comes to...

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
All are more than enough for that CPU (also for 3600x or 5600x). Arctic Freezer 34 DUO will also do for 8core Ryzen but at basically stock speeds.
That AIO would also do nicely for 8 cores to gain full performance but I would prefer Arctic Liquid freezer II 240 for 8 core CPUs. Great cooler at a great price but no lights.

Okay. I'll look that up in amazon or newegg :) do you have other recommendations for an AIO? They might be on sale here in my country so i need any suggestions so that i can save for the shipping costs :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What fits in your case? Have to know exactly how much cpu cooler clearance you have and/or any liquid cooling availability. You may not be able to use a 240mm AIO or even the Arctic. Or there might be room for better options.

What country?

That case will support practically any air cooler you want to install as far as height clearance is concerned, so that part isn't an issue.

Truthfully, I don't know that AIO brand, nor do I trust AIO brands I don't know because even in non-Western countries the most reliable brands and models are still the same ones found in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and EU. Certainly there ARE some other brands out there which are not popular in those countries, but in most cases we've at least heard of them and having been doing this helping people from other countries for about six years, nearly every day now, I've never heard of or run into the Tecware AIO products.

And, more than for just about any other kind of hardware, when it comes to liquid cooling you REALLY want to use something from a brand, including a model, that can be FULLY trusted and I'm not sure that one can be and if I'm not sure then probably it's a fairly sketchy proposition. Plus, the Arctic freezer duo 34 is plenty for the Ryzen 2600, and is known to be a fairly decent product. In my opinion, I think I'd pay the extra ten bucks and go with the Arctic cooler. You'll be getting a known quantity that way and more importantly you won't be running the risk of ruining any of your other hardware by rolling the dice on a relatively unknown, or at least less known, manufacturer with an AIO product that is probably a lot higher risk than if it was something being sold by Corsair, Deepcool, NZXT (Sort of, don't really trust them much either, but for different reasons), Fractal design, Cooler master, etc.

Solution

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
You will not be able to fit that MB in that case, are you changing MB to mATX or mITX ?

Wait sorry for necrobumping this but i will change to an matx yes and i already did

And, more than for just about any other kind of hardware, when it comes to liquid cooling you REALLY want to use something from a brand, including a model, that can be FULLY trusted and I'm not sure that one can be and if I'm not sure then probably it's a fairly sketchy proposition. Plus, the Arctic freezer duo 34 is plenty for the Ryzen 2600, and is known to be a fairly decent product. In my opinion, I think I'd pay the extra ten bucks and go with the Arctic cooler. You'll be getting a known quantity that way and more importantly you won't be running the risk of ruining any of your other hardware by rolling the dice on a relatively unknown, or at least less known, manufacturer with an AIO product that is probably a lot higher risk than if it was something being sold by Corsair, Deepcool, NZXT (Sort of, don't really trust them much either, but for different reasons), Fractal design, Cooler master, etc.

I might buy an AIO cooler locally instead. The same price with Arctic 34 with shipping fees. I can only mount it on top should i make it as exhaust or intake?

Really sorry we had net problems and wasn't able to reply for a long time.

If mounted in the top of the case then it should be configured as an exhaust type setup. For 99.999% of users with tower style cases (Modern ones, that have the PSU in the bottom, not the top, of the case) they should always be configured (Regardless of whether an air cooler or an AIO is used) with front, bottom and side fan locations as intake, and top or rear fan locations as exhaust. There are VERY few cases where exceptions to this rule should be considered and ONLY in situations where you have very compelling and direct evidence by way of a specific case model review that there might be an advantage to deviate from the standard fan location orientation recommendations.

This is what works best for the majority of cases and configurations. For yours however, there will obviously be another arrow in the top, as the radiator fans in exhaust configurations.

eGfaFHL.jpg

Reactions: CountMike

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
If mounted in the top of the case then it should be configured as an exhaust type setup. For 99.999% of users with tower style cases (Modern ones, that have the PSU in the bottom, not the top, of the case) they should always be configured (Regardless of whether an air cooler or an AIO is used) with front, bottom and side fan locations as intake, and top or rear fan locations as exhaust. There are VERY few cases where exceptions to this rule should be considered and ONLY in situations where you have very compelling and direct evidence by way of a specific case model review that there might be an advantage to deviate from the standard fan location orientation recommendations.

This is what works best for the majority of cases and configurations. For yours however, there will obviously be another arrow in the top, as the radiator fans in exhaust configurations.

eGfaFHL.jpg

My case is a cube case with a single 200m intake and a single 120mm as exhaust. Will letting the top rad function as exhaust give better overall temps for the other components rather than making it as an intake and letting the single 120mm do all the exhaustion part?

Right, but that case is configured exactly the same as any standard tower with a bottom mounted power supply. So yes, in THAT case I would suggest that a top mounted radiator configured as exhaust would be the preferred setup for using an AIO CPU cooler, so long as the radiator will fit there.