Question Decrease PING when gaming?

Feb 22, 2023
I would like to request any suggestions in regards to decreasing Ping/Latency while gaming using an Xbox Series X. My ping averages around 35-50 ping but seems to jump up in the afternoons to 60-100 ping. I do live in an apartment complex, so not sure if interference is affecting that but I'm not on a wifi connection. My ISP is Comcast and I know they use shared lines so the pick up in traffic after working hours might be the cause to the rise in ping in the afternoon timeframe. Not sure if it's helpful or not but the game I usually play where ping is important is Call of Duty. Overall, looking for any advice to lower ping when gaming. Please let me know if any other device or setting information would be helpful - Thanks!

Xbox Series X Settings:
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Frames: 120 Hz
  • Connected via ethernet
  • NAT Type: Open
  • DNS Settings:
    • Google: 8.8.8.8
    • Google 8.8.4.4

Internet Speed:
  • Download: 1200 mbps
  • Upload: 35 mbps
  • Port Forwarding used on Xbox Series X
  • DNS Settings: Google's DNS Server 8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4

Monitor:
  • 49 inch Samsung CRG9 Curved
  • 27 inches when gaming
  • Low latency mode
  • 120 Hz
  • Response Time: Fastest

Wolfshadw

Titan
The flow of data is essentially:
  1. Your gaming unit
  2. Your modem/router
  3. The Internet
  4. The game server
  5. and back again

Anything beyond your modem/router is outside of your control. The only thing you can do is reduce the amount of data traffic from other devices going through your modem/router. If you have other devices that connect to the Internet, shut them down when gaming.

Note, depending on the traffic from your network and the shared connection from Comcast, this may not help at all.

-Wolf sends

You can try proxy services like wtfast and connect to a node close to you. A guess is when the ISP is congested your path is getting put on slower trunks. You won't be able to host if you're on a proxy most likely.

If you have bufferbloat the latency is usually much higher than that unless you turned your buffer size way down. you would have to be downloading something for extended periods consistently to keep seeing this issue.