Question dedicated graphic card or not?

JoeZorzin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
In the past, when I bought Dell PCs I always got high end systems with good if not the best graphic cards. I was doing a lot of video work so I wanted the cards. Now, I still do some video work but mostly just for fun. I don't need super speed or performance- just routine performance. So, for a new Dell I'm thinking in my old age I'd rather save on the money and skip the graphic card- just have the system use the integrated graphics. Will it be really all that bad?

In the past, when I bought Dell PCs I always got high end systems with good if not the best graphic cards. I was doing a lot of video work so I wanted the cards. Now, I still do some video work but mostly just for fun. I don't need super speed or performance- just routine performance. So, for a new Dell I'm thinking in my old age I'd rather save on the money and skip the graphic card- just have the system use the integrated graphics. Will it be really all that bad?
Depends on the games you want to play. However, if you get a Dell, you won't be able to upgrade it later, you'll have to buy a whole new system.

You're far better off just building a PC because you'll be able to upgrade it in the future bit-by-bit and that's a much sounder strategy from both an economic and performance standpoint.

Apr 3, 2023
If you used to purchase high-end Dell PCs in the past with good or the best graphics cards for video work, but now mostly do video work for fun and don't require super speed or performance, you may be wondering if you can save some money and skip the graphics card for your new Dell system, using only the integrated graphics instead.

The answer to your question depends on your specific needs and requirements for your video work. Integrated graphics cards are built into the motherboard of the computer and use a portion of the computer's RAM for graphics processing. While they may be sufficient for basic video editing, they may not be suitable for more demanding tasks such as rendering, high-resolution video editing, or 3D modeling.

If you're only doing basic video editing, using integrated graphics should be fine. However, if you're doing anything more advanced, a dedicated graphics card may be necessary. Additionally, if you plan to play games or use virtual reality, a dedicated graphics card will likely be needed to provide a smooth and enjoyable experience.

Ultimately, the decision to skip the graphics card and rely on integrated graphics depends on your specific needs and requirements. If you don't need high-end performance, then saving money by skipping the graphics card may be a good option. But if you require more demanding video work or want to play games or use virtual reality, then investing in a dedicated graphics card is likely necessary.