Question Dedicated Graphics Card BSOD

May 27, 2024
Dell Latitude E5440 Core i7-4600 256 SSD GT 720M Nvidia

When i first got this laptop i got a BSOD around 40 seconds after booting it up, a while later i made a new installation of windows, and when i went to download the drivers for the dedicated graphics card (GT 720M) i faced a BSOD while the driver was installing. and when the laptop restarted (because of the Blue screen) it didn't wanna boot into windows it just froze at the part when it was about into windows with a black screen.

so the issue is that when i use my dedicated graphics card driver (or install the drivers) it blue screens any fixes?

here are the minidump files from a while ago :https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qse8...ey=b6q0taulmey3qmc7hi2sxha90&st=ai5ibrq6&dl=0

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If there is a graphics card hardware issue, trying to install drivers might hint as such as power profiles kick in, the gpu might be unstable now. Or maybe memory has become faulty. If memory or one of them (commonly memory is often soldered in laptops with an expansion dimm) can be removed then you could troubleshoot there. But need to open and inspect your options.

When i first got this laptop i got a BSOD around 40 seconds after booting it up

Can you return it? Or is it one of those sales with no return? How long ago was this purchase?

You could give this a try. Go to Dell directly and off your support page download the 720m Nvidia driver.

I don't know if Windows 10 was out when your laptop was built. So if Dell only has a Windows 7 driver get that and run it in compatibility mode.

Some laptops GPU drivers back than Dell made priority " Dell" only to work on the GPU. Even know Nvidia had a offering for that card the Dell driver is the only one that worked.

Without your service tag the link I posted is the closest path I could link for you.

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...08d88f-67d7-4277-a7b9-d872f106a82b&lang=en-us

May 27, 2024
If there is a graphics card hardware issue, trying to install drivers might hint as such as power profiles kick in, the gpu might be unstable now. Or maybe memory has become faulty. If memory or one of them (commonly memory is often soldered in laptops with an expansion dimm) can be removed then you could troubleshoot there. But need to open and inspect your options.

Can you return it? Or is it one of those sales with no return? How long ago was this purchase?
i don't think i can return it and i got it around 3 months ago

May 27, 2024
You could give this a try. Go to Dell directly and off your support page download the 720m Nvidia driver.

I don't know if Windows 10 was out when your laptop was built. So if Dell only has a Windows 7 driver get that and run it in compatibility mode.

Some laptops GPU drivers back than Dell made priority " Dell" only to work on the GPU. Even know Nvidia had a offering for that card the Dell driver is the only one that worked.

Without your service tag the link I posted is the closest path I could link for you.

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...08d88f-67d7-4277-a7b9-d872f106a82b&lang=en-us
i entered my service tag on the dell website and when i look for the drivers listed for this service tag i didn't see the gt 720m driver.

May 27, 2024
i entered my service tag on the dell website and when i look for the drivers listed for this service tag i didn't see the gt 720m driver.
could it be that this laptop didn't even have a gt 720m in the first place?? because around 2 months ago when i tried fixing this problem i downloaded an older driver from 2013 and it worked.

May 27, 2024
could it be that this laptop didn't even have a gt 720m in the first place?? because around 2 months ago when i tried fixing this problem i downloaded an older driver from 2013 and it worked.
i used the nvidia card to run mine craft it worked for a couple of minutes with kind of low fps (like the intergrated graphics card was running better) then it blue screened :(

May 27, 2024

something i forgot to mention is that i went to a repair shop and the guy said the it was a ram problem. the laptop was 8gb ram now its 4, but still nothing worked.