Dedicated PhysX card

DcUlreich

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
I'm considering to buy a 750Ti or a 960 (no price difference) as a dedicated PhysX card to help my 780Ti.

Would any of the GPUs be too slow/bottleneck the 780Ti as a PhysX card?
I know there are some incidents where the PhysX card have been too slow for the main GPU and dragged down the perfomance.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
GTX 780 6gb w/GTX 750ti for PhysX

*7-10 FPS increase in PhysX games (average)
*4-6C Decrease in Temp on GTX 780 6gb (average)
*70% GPU utilization on 750TI for PhysX (Max Settings)

Based on some of those results should help in making a decision. Note: I only used the 750ti for PhysX while I was waiting to get another 780 6gb for SLI. The games I tested this on were:
-Borderlands 1/2/3
-Batman 2/3
-AC:Black Flag

DcUlreich

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

I am aware of that, but I know I will sink in 100+ hours in witcher 3, Batman Arkham knight will most likely feature PhysX and I still haven't started on metro last light.
To put it short, I feel the amount of game-time in PhysX supported games will justify the small cost of a 750Ti/960.

I just want to know whether or not it would end up bottlenecking my main GPU.

Your GTX 780Ti is no slouch. That card still rocks. And it has PhysX built in as all Nvidia GTX cards do. And as fast as this card is, even if you do play a game that uses PhysX, its almost certain to be fast enough to handle both the PhysX and everything else just fine.

The number of games that actually use PhysX are minimal. Mainly because since PhysX is proprietary to Nvidia, and AMD does not have it, they would have to do all the work with PhysX, and then write code just for AMD to do the same thing. So instead, most game makers just go ahead and skip PhysX, and use the other method for both brands of cards.

I remember back in the day when people would have a gt 240 for a dedicated physx card with the gtx 470. I feel like modern day nvidia GPUs are fast enough to handle high physx settings without a dedicated card. Also I have never been overly impressed with the added graphical fidelity it provides, there are plenty of physx-less games that have beautiful non-proprietary physics systems. As an nvidia guy that is my 2 cents.

WildCard999

Titan
For quite awhile I used a GTX 750Ti as a dedicated PhysX card paired with my GTX 780 6gb. I noticed 7-10 FPS increase on games that utilize PhysX like the Borderlands/Batman series and about a 4-6C decrease in temp on my GTX 780 6gb. The GTX 750ti GPU utilization was around 70%(PhysX set @Max). If you have the extra cash and could use the extra fps then it might be worth it to you but if you have a MB that will support SLI then that would be the perferable route.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Physx doesn't use very many resources to run so there is little point to get a second card. I have a laptop that has a Geforce 650M and I benchmarked Physx off vs on and there really wasn't much impact. The 780TI is massively more powerful than a GT 650M.

Frankly, the physics effects that Physx supports could just as easily be run on the CPU with little impact. The whole thing is a bit of a scam.

DcUlreich

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Have you tried Black Flag with PhysX particles? My FPS goes from 60 to 20-25 every time I shoot with PhysX particles activated. It could be bad optimizing by Ubisoft, but wouldn't problems like that be eliminated by a dedicated PhysX card?

A lot of you says there is no reason to buy one, I will probably do some more research before deciding, BUT none of you have actually answered my question :)
Not sure if it's relevant but I'm running the games on a 1440 display, so with everything maxed out, I won't hit a steady 60 with my 780Ti.

WildCard999

Titan
GTX 780 6gb w/GTX 750ti for PhysX

*7-10 FPS increase in PhysX games (average)
*4-6C Decrease in Temp on GTX 780 6gb (average)
*70% GPU utilization on 750TI for PhysX (Max Settings)

Based on some of those results should help in making a decision. Note: I only used the 750ti for PhysX while I was waiting to get another 780 6gb for SLI. The games I tested this on were:
-Borderlands 1/2/3
-Batman 2/3
-AC:Black Flag

Solution

DcUlreich

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

I'll take that as a ''yes, a 750Ti/960 won't slow down a 780TI''
Thank you for answering my question :)

You will not hit a STEADY 60 FPS in any modern game. There are always going to be some scenes where the FPS will drop down for at least a few seconds. Even with a Titan X. It will happen less with more powerful cards, but it does still happen.

Now consider this:
1920x1080p monitor has to generate 2,073,600 pixels per frame.
1920x1440p monitor has to generate 2,764,800 pixels per frame.
2560x1440p monitor has to generate 3,686,400 pixels per frame.

So 2560x1440 is almost double the pixels that 1920x1080 is. It also generally looks much better than 1920x1080p. But you pay for all those extra pixels by having a lower FPS.

Now, back to your original point about having a second video card for PhysX. You have been given multiple peoples opinions on that. But you appear to have your mind made up that you want the second card. So just do it.