Question Deep Cool AS500 plus versus Noctua D15 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
On the fence, have both ordered. Reading the limited reviews on the AS500 Plus it shows comparable if not slightly better performance than the D15 in a much cheaper and smaller package. I've got room for either but am leaning towards the AS500 based on thermals, size & price...

Any chance someone has experience with both? Or any reason for me not to go with the AS500

Currently using an older '13 design Corsair H60 w/ no real complaints 68C max load, in a well ventilated crappy case Thermaltake N21. But it's old, figured new case & new CPU cooler at the same time

System:
Lian Li Mesh II Performance case
Asus B350 prime plus motherboard
AMD 3700X stock
16GB G Skill Flare X 3200 CL14
2070 Super

Last edited:

slurmsmckenzie

Commendable
Apr 12, 2021
Yeah, there's a dead zone right behind the fan motor.
Dang, there goes my hope that I would get loads more airflow with that RGB cable removed.... :LOL:

Joking aside, I've done no research so sorry if this is obvious but is it a thing to try and have a smaller motor to maximise airflow? Guessing either it isn't that easy or there would be other disadvantages.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is a known thing with fans.
Could you imagine what a fan would look like if the motor was in the outer frame? How would that work?

Easily, it is cost that prevents them from being made, would need many pole motors (an awful lot of magnets to do the same job) and very good tolerances to make them efficient. Or use a really expensive race/ring bearing. And there would still be aerodynamic inefficiency at the central point. Either you would leave out the center, or put a conical hub there like in an turbofan engine.

slurmsmckenzie

Commendable
Apr 12, 2021
Interesting, thank you! I did that Googling I should have done in the first place and I see what you mean now. Between my cooler research and this thread, I feel like I've learned a lot in the last few days!

slurmsmckenzie

Commendable
Apr 12, 2021
Have just finished installing it and am monitoring temps etc. - interestingly I feel like I can hear it more than I could the Prism at idle, but I guess there are two much bigger fans. They are running at 550rpm when the CPU is idle (I'm using a Noctua Y-cable that came with and old case-fan). Not that it is at all noisy though, and if I put the top back on my "moduvent" (or whatever it is called) then I doubt I'd hear anything at all. I'll probably re-evaluate the fan curve in the BIOS at some point and also do a bit of stress testing.

Temps seem to be about 5-6 degrees lower or thereabouts compared to the Prism from what I can tell (at idle). It has helped the NVMe temps by the same amount which is good. Currently at 35C according to Ryzen Master and my NVMe is 37C, ambient is 26C and has been all day.

Fitting it was really quick and simple once I had figured out which bits were which although I did have the blackplate drop down despite having taped it like Gamers Nexus recommended! Clearances are great on my B550-A Pro. Saw what you meant about getting the fans straight, I did have to re-jig them a bit but as there was so much space to work in it wasn't a problem.

Enjoyed fitting it and I'm glad that I've now got my cooler sorted!

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Glad it's working out for you too, I really like mine. Although I'm pretty happy with the sound, the old h60 aio pump was always a low frequency hum,

Still surprised at how much cooler it is than my old setup, I guess the previous case was pretty restrictive regardless of how many fans I had.

My nvme temps dropped significantly as well, so did ram and system... This build should last me for a while, should be good for a few years or hopefully more.

Reactions: slurmsmckenzie
Status
Not open for further replies.