Deep Instinct: A New Way to Prevent Malware, With Deep Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osama68

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
That's sounds very similar to what Cylance does. Cylance does not use a Sandbox as the article suggests.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
As alluded to, the results would be more impressive if they didn't include the training samples. Additionally while the article mentions low false positive, it doesn't mention a rate. It sounds like it's still based on analyzing the code, not the behavior, which means it can still be beaten. (Though the network analysis one sounds like it will be behavior-based.) But until we see more results, we don't know if it's a neural net that recognizes malware or a neural net that recognizes applications that do a lot of network activity.

gibbousmoon100

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I'll never be impressed by a high success rate that isn't accompanied by a concrete and unconcealed low false positive rate. The necessity for both is common sense, imo. Why isn't it talked about more in this article?

HSelden

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
They did include some very low false positive rates, but I couldn't publish them. At least in a uniform test, it beat all other competitors - if you blow up the image you can see the mobile test "false positives. "

I agree, the proof is real world testing, and what would Deep Instinct do with with evolving malware. Could be very interesting - time will tell. Is there an inherent structure or activity to malware that is part of it being malware, so cannot be readily disguised? Did Deep Instinct find this? If malware didn't have these behaviors or elements, it wouldn't be (malicious) malware? How could this be detected?

Status
Not open for further replies.