[SOLVED] DeepCool Castle 280 RGB vs DeepCool Assassin III

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I'm still looking for a nice, not pricey, cooling solution and just found a DeepCool Castle 280 RGB and a DeepCool Assassin III for the exact same price, i'm not into water stuff but if there's a considerable difference between these two i can make an exception. So, which one should i buy?

My complete specs: Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Intel Core i7-10700K | Asus TUF Gaming Z490-Plus | Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition (Dual Fan, Push/Pull) | 16GB (2x8) T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 2666MHZ CL15 | Crucial MX500 1000GB + SanDisk Plus 120GB | Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze | NZXT Noctis 450 ROG Black

Last edited:
Solution
2 different criteria. Capacity vs efficiency. The Assassin III is supposedly a 280w cooler, which handles the 250w 5.1GHz OC on a 10700k as far as capacity goes. Barely. The Castle is a 300w+ AIO, which has greater capacity, better surface to air ratios etc.

Efficiency is a different story. Because of the capacity of the Castle, it puts you lower down the fan curve, at similar noise/rpm levels it'll have slightly lower temps compared to the same fans on the Assassin. The difference being spikes. Aircooling responds much faster to spikes, so you'll get rampups when temps shift. With liquids being far slower, that doesn't happen as much, if at all, when set to monitor coolant temps vrs cpu temps.

There's also fitment. The Assassin III...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Argentina for the Win. There's American standard connectors, European, Asian etc most pretty easy to replicate or adapt, all somewhat loosely or tightly governed by governing bodies and standards. And then there's Argentina, whom I'm surprised actually uses 220v since nothing else resembles anything anyone else uses, nobody seems to care about actual standards and regulations if your pickets are deep enough. Bring your own, locally bought psu power cable, nothing in the box will fit or work cuz nobody is going to tool up just for 1 country specs in a global market.

'it's a mess' is an understated understatement...

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
UPDATE, IT FITS!!!
But holy crap, that thing is <Mod Edit> HUGE, it fits barely, not touching the acrylic tho, so that's fine.
5jIfMMe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RodroX