Deepcool's 140 mm PWM Fan Designed For Quiet Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman26

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
i can't fathom why fan manufacturer always opt for Silence rather than CFM. where the primary purpose of a fan is cool things. jeez

alextheblue

Distinguished
Sounds a bit like a Noctua knockoff. If it sells below MSRP it might be worth a look for silence on a budget. Otherwise you're better off putting the money towards the real deal or looking elsewhere entirely.

apor

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Let me know when someone releases a better fan than Noctua... until than I don't know why we even bother.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
i can't fathom why fan manufacturer always opt for Silence rather than CFM. where the primary purpose of a fan is cool things. jeez

Really? I like my computer to not sound like a jet engine. They wouldn't make them if no one was buying them. I remember back when we used to use Delta Black-Label fans and trust me, you don't want to go there. A 140mm Delta Black Label fan would be so loud you'd be able to hear it through a reinforced concrete wall.

Noise vs CFM:

Manufacturers do NOT "opt for Silence rather than CFM", there are a wide variety of fans to choose from.

The best fan is the one that cools sufficiently with the lowest noise.

Also, not sure you read the article very well (iceman 26) as they said they got almost 72CFM at 26.7dB which essentially means it cools well with relatively low noise.

*I bought PWM fans for my case and have fan speed setup (RPM vs temperature) and my case fans spin at 600RPM and are essentially silent. They never go above 800RPM even though they are capable of going up to 1500RPM because that would add pointless noise.

(Many people have far more noise due to fans than they need either due to excessive fan speed, too many fans, or low quality fans)

alextheblue

Distinguished
Let me know when someone releases a better fan than Noctua... until than I don't know why we even bother.
Price, for one. For premium silent builds I highly recommend Noctua. They are the best by miles. But for a budget build there are some other PWM fans that aren't too bad and they're a lot cheaper. The other reason to buy something else is raw airflow. Noctua fans do a great job of moving air for how quiet they are, but there are situations where someone demands more peak airflow (whether they really need it or not is debatable).
I remember back when we used to use Delta Black-Label fans and trust me, you don't want to go there. A 140mm Delta Black Label fan would be so loud you'd be able to hear it through a reinforced concrete wall.
I think I still have a 120mm Delta screamer lying around somewhere. I wonder if it would still be loud if I run it at 7V? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.