Default IP Address Changed.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I use my westel 327w as modem only and my router is the Linksys EA6500.
I used to have the usual default IP Address of 192.168.... and so on and now they have all changed to start with 10.183... and so on.. what could have caused this?
I did add a new computer to the network that I built myself (with lots of help from this site) running windows 8.Mother board is an Asus. I am sorry if this is not enough info. can anyone tell me why this happen and should I bring them back to the default IP address

festerovic

Distinguished
10.xxx.xxx.xxx and 192.xxx.xxx.xxx are both private networks. Essentially they work the same. Is there a problem since the IP changed? Can you still use networking correctly? Have you updated the firmware on the router at some point since you noticed the 192.xxx IPs?

Also how is the other PC you mentioned set up to access the network? Static or DHCP?

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
after rereading the manual it seems that by pressing the reset button only about 7 seconds is a quick reset and what I needed to do was hold the reset button longer for a complete reset. that is my best guess because now it is back to the way it was.
one warning I would like to pass along - when I got my new direct tv service they reset my modem to factory defaults in order for a quick connect (or what ever reason) this set out an unsecure wireless network. so just check your security after getting any type of cable service that connects to your network - they did this twice to me.
and thank you for your help.

TRENDING THREADS